More first impressions

"- a return of the command delay

- some sort of indicator of what type of terrain is what

- do different buildings have different defensive value? If so, some sort of indicator of which is which.

- small gaps in hedgerows are too hard to see. "

Well, I agree with the above - esp the fact that I see gaps in hedgrows, but when I order guys through them, they end up running into the open to use a gate. So what appear to be gaps are graphical illusion. It's very frustrating.

I also feel like the US armor (and maybe other Allied units?) are given some advantages like the US did in CMSF. They seem to get more accurate first shots off than the Germans and the Shermans are not as easy to kill as in CM1.

However, all this is about verisimilitude, and the fact that most of us got so used to the way things were in CM1 (for 10 years!) and then CMSF as the "correct" way. So, one has to unlearn painfully learned lessons that took years to suss out in CM1 in order to play CMBN.

I tell everyone that the CM2 system is a different game to CM1, and one simply has to get used to that.

On the other hand, I do not see CMBN ever replacing CM1 as CM1 offers so much more variety and the opportunity to play at the operational level (3+ battalions plus companies of armor and arty etc) on huge maps. The CM1 level of abstraction is as near perfect as any game. (And a well-modded CM1 game still looks almost as good as a CM2 game.)

CM2/CMBN attempts to be more of a simulation and seems best with relatively small numbers of units - esp if you prefer RL vs WEGO.

"- a return of the command delay

- some sort of indicator of what type of terrain is what

- do different buildings have different defensive value? If so, some sort of indicator of which is which.

- small gaps in hedgerows are too hard to see. "

Well, I agree with the above - esp the fact that I see gaps in hedgrows, but when I order guys through them, they end up running into the open to use a gate. So what appear to be gaps are graphical illusion. It's very frustrating.

I also feel like the US armor (and maybe other Allied units?) are given some advantages like the US did in CMSF. They seem to get more accurate first shots off than the Germans and the Shermans are not as easy to kill as in CM1.

Some detailed studies (such as the Osprey Sherman vs Panther pamphlet) have suggested that the Sherman did have a significant advantage in getting off the first shot due to the gunner's having a wider view in his optics. For me, more realistic Shermans is a definite Plus.

The Sherman gun sight did not have a wider field, however the gunner had access to a Periscope as well as his gun sight which make tracking targets, especially at close range, much easier. The Loader also had access to a periscope which meant you have three sets of eyes potentially searching for targets.

German tanks did not have periscopes for the gunner (or loader for that matter), but the gunisight tended to have a better field of view than their allied counterparts, almost double the FOV with German 2.4x and 2.5x magnified optics compared to the standard 3x magnified for Allied tanks.

Frankly I would generally give the more accurate first shot to the Germans, given their guns tend to be a higher velocity and the German could be used to estimate the range to a target quite accurately since it was a mil sight (kinda hard to explain without pictures)