needed - a PC user to test

maybe if someone else would try to load this QB it would help tell me if its the file, or me that is the problem?

PM me with your email addy and i'll send you the file in question. not to play.. just open the file and try to do a MAP PREVIEW.

thanks!

bruce

i don't know the exact QB map that was used ,and i understand the relevance of asking.

my son has a Mac, i a PC... he sent me a new battle, and i couldn't open the preview map option (when selecting units). the message is i'm out of memory. and then i'm dropped back to desktop.

however, i have played battles against the Ai without issue.

the message to free memory includes changing resolution, deactivating Anti-aliasing and 3d textures to 'faster'.. all of which i tried, all of which made no difference. Also, all of which i don't need to do vs the Ai ~

my System is old. (6years) with a geForce 6600GT (PCI-e 16) vid card. 128mb none of which should matter, if i am able to play vs Ai on my own system.

so the problem is either the Mac/PC interface - or the map (as you asked) or - possibly a corrupted file (our 1st attempt with CMBN). Maybe its the Preview map option in general?

currently he is out of town or i'd ask him to send another - so i'm instead asking for an assist here :)

Go first with the corrupted file idea. Delet your current file and re DL it (it could be your end). If you get the same result. Ask him to resend. CMBN can easily have files over 20 megs and give your regular email a fit. I use "SendThisFile" a free file sharing service that has always worked. In the mean time I can send you a game setup from my PC and see if you can open it with your Mac. Just send me an email to Mark.Ezra3591 AT gmail dot com. I can respond around 9 PM PST

thanks Mark... but i'm the one with a PC :) i need a Mac setup to test ~

or what i'd like to do is send the Mac setup i received to see if someone else can see the preview map

check your mail :)

but i'm EST - and nearing bedtime... so no rush

i don't know the exact QB map that was used ,and i understand the relevance of asking.

my son has a Mac, i a PC... he sent me a new battle, and i couldn't open the preview map option (when selecting units). the message is i'm out of memory. and then i'm dropped back to desktop.

however, i have played battles against the Ai without issue.

the message to free memory includes changing resolution, deactivating Anti-aliasing and 3d textures to 'faster'.. all of which i tried, all of which made no difference. Also, all of which i don't need to do vs the Ai ~

my System is old. (6years) with a geForce 6600GT (PCI-e 16) vid card. 128mb none of which should matter, if i am able to play vs Ai on my own system.

so the problem is either the Mac/PC interface - or the map (as you asked) or - possibly a corrupted file (our 1st attempt with CMBN). Maybe its the Preview map option in general?

currently he is out of town or i'd ask him to send another - so i'm instead asking for an assist here :)

Some saved games (and PBEM files) created by Macs can't currently be loaded by PCs. It's a bug, and not a common one - in testing we played quite a lot of PBEM games without issue. I'm working on the problem now. In the interim, when your son gets back to town, try initiating the PBEM from the PC.

It would be good to know what QB map it was, if you can scare up the info, just for reference - and it would be great to know what your son's Mac specs are.

thanks Everyone... Phil, i'll contact my son today and see if he can fill in the details.

Mark.. rebooted and even shutdown and restarted (thinking it was a memory issue, that might not have flushed) - same deal.

the 'load' screen for the preview goes all the way to 100% but then the 'out of memory' message comes up and i'm back to desktop.

i did send the file to Mark and another 'volunteer' and both were able to load the Mac setup file and preview the map. so it sounds more like a "My" issue than a BF issue :(

you guys are awesome to jump in so quick to help.

many thanks

haven't been able to get with son yet (he's still at work) but i may be on to something.. been testing most of the afternoon, and i'm thinking it has to do with buildings. town scenarios specifically.

at first i was doing 'random' scenarios' and all worked - if they were TINY.. but when i went to SMALL (maps) it wouldn't load. Even against Ai (nothing to do with MAC)

then i got one to load and it was MEDIUM, but country side.. so i went back and tried some others, with the same thing happening if i went one step up, trying to use towns.

battle size seems ok (up to medium) haven't tried more, if its in the country.

so it seems' i'll be ok as long as i stay away from towns :)

i will still report back here as soon as i get my son to answer some questions about his Mac system and probably have him re-send a scenario - not a town - if he did.

Mark and another gamer were both sent my son's setup and both (PC) were able to open with no problem.

it has to be my video card ~ learning as i go :)

Are you on Mac or PC, BigJ?

Sarge's problem does seem like a resource issue. Some scenarios need a LOT of memory and low-resource machines have trouble with them. I'm still looking into it, though.