Need for physically occupy objectives behind lines?

Hi,

As long-time CMx1 veteran, I finally succumbed and purchased CM:BN. Fired up the tutorial Roadblock scenario and won nicely. But I was surprised that I failed one objective (St. Mary's) even though it was way behind my lines and no Germans around.

I'd have thought it was safely my "property" without need of having unit there. I think this is bit counter-intuitive. System where owner of objective is last that passed around would make bit more sense for me.

But, I am not complaining too much, game plays well and while UI is not as handy (IMHO) than in CMx1, it's OK.

Hi,

As long-time CMx1 veteran, I finally succumbed and purchased CM:BN. Fired up the tutorial Roadblock scenario and won nicely. But I was surprised that I failed one objective (St. Mary's) even though it was way behind my lines and no Germans around.

I'd have thought it was safely my "property" without need of having unit there. I think this is bit counter-intuitive. System where owner of objective is last that passed around would make bit more sense for me.

But, I am not complaining too much, game plays well and while UI is not as handy (IMHO) than in CMx1, it's OK.

There are many types of objectives. There are objectives where you have to physically occupy an area, and others where you simply have to make sure there are no enemy forces here. Clearly this is the first case :).

Hi,

How did the scenario end? Did the Germans surrender? Did time run out?

It also depends on the parameters of victory which are created by the scenario designer and can be completely different from other scenarios and varied.

If the Germans surrendered with a total victory to the US side, then yes, you should have automatically achieved all objectives.

How did the scenario end? Did the Germans surrender? Did time run out?

It also depends on the parameters of victory which are created by the scenario designer and can be completely different from other scenarios and varied.

If the Germans surrendered with a total victory to the US side, then yes, you should have automatically achieved all objectives.

It seems I have lot to learn about objectives. :) No, Germans didn't surrender, but I pushed them all the way to far corner on map. And then I just waited for the time to run out after I occupied the Crossroads. Didn't feel like chasing them, since I lost one tank and was not into giving those schreks and fausts easy shots. ;)

No biggie, just baffled me a bit. :)

Hi,

I think these objectives work like the flags did in CM1. In the latter you had to have a unit of some sort near the flag at the end of the scenario. The big difference from CM1 is that the AI doesn't have some built-in imperative (other than what it is scripted to do in that scenario design) to recapture one of these objectives. So presumably you could leave just about anyone there most of the time.

So far I've not found that I've suffered a shortage of 'ragtag' elements to liberally scatter in my wake to retain the claim for the VL tally. No way they'd hold it against an actual counterattack, a selection of broken teams reduced to a single rifle, but they'll do for satisfying the game engine. And they're certainly no use in actual offensive operations.

I got a total victory for this scenario with the scenario ending before the time ran out.

If the objective you are talking about is the manor house at the extreme southern end of the map (next to the spawn point) it is a touch objective and you have to send a scouting team to the second floor of the westernmost building. It doesn't make any sense tactically because you can't see anything from it, but the tutorial instructs you to do it:

SCOUTS OUT!

The terrain ahead of you is criss-crossed with what is known as bocage or hedgerows (these terms will be used interchangeably). These earthen em-bankments topped with dense vegetation will block line of sight (LOS) and often line of fire (LOF) unless a unit is directly adjacent to them. This means that it will be very hard to see far ahead unless you can gain an elevation advantage and see over the tops of the hedgerows. Fortunately, to your north is the Mardelle Manor. The second story of the southwestern building in this manor will provide an excellent observation post for your scout team.

Select your scout team by clicking on the men or their floating icon and give them Hunt movement orders to the second floor of the objective named Observation Post. Leave your scout cars where they are for now; there might be a German tank or anti-tank gun behind the next hedgerow for all you know!

Once your scout team is in place, a German machine gun team should appear by the Crossroads objective. Alternatively an anti-tank gun may be seen.

The act of your units seeing enemy units is known as spotting.

(page 32 of the manual)

If you are talking about St Martin's farm, I assaulted through both the barn and the farmhouse and captured several prisoners. I don't think I left any troops in the farmhouse although I did leave my scouts in the copse of trees across the stream. If this was your problem objective and you didn't hang around to take the prisoners maybe you didn't get the points because it was still "occupied" by Germans (albeit cowed and beaten ones).