Duration of artillery missions

I posted this question in amongst discussions on a different topic in a different thread so I make a new thread for this question.

I’m setting duration to Short, expecting then only 6-12 rounds (as per manual) and getting 18+ rounds (not including spotting rounds). I’ve set mission to Medium but I can still do that to get the frequency of fire I want and then still expect to only use 6-12 rounds by setting duration to Short can’t I? Or did I mis-understand that?

I'm getting the issue both with on-map 81mm mortar (single mortar firing) and with off-map 105mm howitzer (multiple guns firing). The on-map mortar is firing indirect, called in by an FO.

I could understand that due to confusion etc. in WWII setting then sometimes I'd get a duration (either longer or shorter) that I didn't want. But this is happening to me every time in 2 different scenarios (in the Demo).

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Rule 1, the manual is always outdated or plain wrong. In this case it is just inaccurate ;-)

The GUI really lacks information about expected rate of fire and length of mission (in rounds or minutes) so all you can do is painfull testing.

I did some, feel free to add to the table.

Veteran spotters and guns, flat map.

For batteries, one tube only, more tubes fire simultaneously.

Rate of fire is 1 round per x seconds.

Duration is in rounds, or minutes if m suffix.

US 60mm M2 mortar onmap

Mission:             Harass     |     Light      |     Medium     |     Heavy

Rate of fire:          18       |       6        |       3        |       2

Duration:         Q    S    M   |  Q    S    M   |  Q    S    M   |  Q    S    M   

Rounds:           6    7    7m  |  3    20   30  |  3    19   24  |  3    16

US 81mm M1 mortar onmap

Rate of fire:          18       |       6        |       3        |       2

Duration:         Q    S    M   |  Q    S    M   |  Q    S    M   |  Q    S    M   

Rounds:           5    10   15  |  6    10   28  |  3    10   25  |  6    12   22+

US 105mm M2A1 Howitzer

Rate of fire:        46-48      |     28-32      |     16-19      |     10-12

Rounds:           3    6    14  |  2    7    12  |  3    6    12  |  2    6    12

Outstanding Martin Krejcirik!

What is "7m"? 7 or more?

In this case 7 minutes (as shown on the gun picture at the start of the mission), I didn't want to wait and count rounds for so long. Based on the ROF, it should be about 24 rounds.

The duration can always vary by several rounds and also ROF can be quite changeable between individual rounds on bigger calibers and needs to be averaged. Mortars are very steady.