Targetting question

This is correct. You click on the white ball or triangle at the end of a waypoint and you can assign targetted or area fire from this waypoint. Or simply use the tool to check LOS without assigning a fire command.

It is worth noting that when you do this a targetting line will extend from the current location of the unit in question but the LOS will be plotted from the waypoint. So if it's blue when you plot it from the waypoint, it will be blue when the unit gets there (barring any factors that come into play whilst the unit is moving - smoke, damage etc.)

Hope that this helps.

Beware, though, that the results you get might not match what your unit can actually see when it gets there. While the calculations are made from the height of your unit, they don't take into account the heights of any units that your unit hasn't spotted which may or may not, therefore have reciprocal LOS to that point.

After a few days with the full version I am seeing what jonp is experiencing.

When I click on a waypoint, and try to target something from there, the targeting reference line is appearing from my original spot. Furthermore, the line is recreating the exact same LOS from my initial point. A building that would block the LOS from point 1 will still be blocking my LOS (dark blue targeting line) from a second point that has cleared said building.

When I click on a waypoint, and try to target something from there, the targeting reference line is appearing from my original spot. Furthermore, the line is recreating the exact same LOS from my initial point. A building that would block the LOS from point 1 will still be blocking my LOS (dark blue targeting line) from a second point that has cleared said building.

You are doing something wrong, then, or your installation is borked somehow. I'd suspect the former, and not because of any failing on your part :)

To click on a waypoint, you first have to not be in 'making waypoints' mode. You'll know when you have clicked on a waypoint (or the movement line leading to that waypoint) because the waypoint will enlarge and the movement line become 'bright' rather than faded. It's part of the interface confusion this game suffers so egregiously from.

Whenever you do manage to get a waypoint selected, the targetting line is 'meant' to be seen as originating from the actual current location of the unit, but the calculations are being done from the selected waypoint, and if you do set a target, the red or yellow line will then be drawn originating from the waypoint.

I just saw the same thing yesterday, I'll be investigating it. The line should originate from the original waypoint, but it should calculate from the next one. However, it wasn't appearing to do so.

You are doing something wrong, then, or your installation is borked somehow. I'd suspect the former, and not because of any failing on your part :)

To click on a waypoint, you first have to not be in 'making waypoints' mode. You'll know when you have clicked on a waypoint (or the movement line leading to that waypoint) because the waypoint will enlarge and the movement line become 'bright' rather than faded. It's part of the interface confusion this game suffers so egregiously from.

Whenever you do manage to get a waypoint selected, the targetting line is 'meant' to be seen as originating from the actual current location of the unit, but the calculations are being done from the selected waypoint, and if you do set a target, the red or yellow line will then be drawn originating from the waypoint.

Darn! That explains why I thought it only worked sometimes! And this from a CMSF 'vet'! I feel a bit silly now.

I just saw the same thing yesterday, I'll be investigating it. The line should originate from the original waypoint, but it should calculate from the next one. However, it wasn't appearing to do so.

Yeah, I thought I noticed that as well on occasion.

I will keep my eye out for it

Thx

jonpfl