There are many ways to go here.

From a serious perspective :

I wonder if that comment in the manual was supposed to be for the M1918 BAR and was put under the wrong description. I haven't seen a BAR with a semi deploy option, but firing from the hip might be what it is referring too.

On a more modern practical note:

I would take the extra time to get it fully deployed before you think about firing your gun :)

It could be:

a mix up with the BAR, being fired off the shoulder like a rifle or off the bipod like a pretend LMG.

OR

the M1919 did have the ability to be fired without the tripod, I seem to remember a Marine, on Guadalcanal (?) scoring a Medal of Honour for doing this. I can't imagine it was a standard practise tho'

It could be:

a mix up with the BAR, being fired off the shoulder like a rifle or off the bipod like a pretend LMG.

OR

the M1919 did have the ability to be fired without the tripod, I seem to remember a Marine, on Guadalcanal (?) scoring a Medal of Honour for doing this. I can't imagine it was a standard practise tho'

You're referring to Sgt. John Basilone I suspect, but I think he had M-1917's at Guadalcanal. It's been a while since I read his bio. In the episode of The Pacific serial where he is on Iwo Jima I seem to recall him manhandling an M-1919 off its tripod and firing it just before he is KIA. I doubt anyone ever trained for that but it may have happened in extremis. The bipod version of the M-1919 could be carried and fired by itself but I don't know how much of that was done outside Hollywood. I recall movie posters of Audie Murphy in To Hell and Back lugging one around and shooting Germans with it. He was actually a pretty small guy and he usually demanded accuracy for his own film scenes, so perhaps that was done now and then.