New file at the Repository: An Improved Rank and Branch Insignia Icon (2011-05-23)

I consolidated the rank and branch insignia mods into one zip file and delted the extras off the repository..

Here is a chart of the ranks, showing how I apllied them in the mod. It is also a key as to what each rank means:

5752160292_3a42caefa8_z.jpg

This image shows the Branch icons, German and US equivalent:

5752160262_113510ed75_b.jpg

The look great only thing I found was since the rank positions are shifted sometimes the command structure on the lower end (USA) doesn't always make sense given how BF set them up. Corporal instead of sergeant's in charge of squads, etc...

I just went ahead and re-made the BF default ranks that were missing and shifted the positions and now it all clicks in to place again.

Thanks for the mods, they do look great. :)

AstroCat, a Corporal commanding a squad is perfectly feasable, not sure why you have a problem with that.

Remake it any way you like, but adding missing ranks might be adding back in a rank that didn't exist in WW2.. for example in the game the PFC rank (one stripe on top and one rocker on the bottom) did not exist until the 50's.

All you should have to do is copy the Sergeant rank at position 6 into position 5 as well (overwriting Corporal at that point).

Bil

Thanks Reaver.

In this image I have laid out the US rank icons as released with the game, and my set.

The red X marks ranks that did not exist in the US Army in WW2. So some shifting was necessary as fewer actual enlisted ranks were available. I tried to keep them in line with the German ranks as much as possible. And a Corporal is perfectly able to command a squad, even in today's army.

5755287400_78ae1a188c_b.jpg

Thanks for the information about the ranks, I'll have to go back and move it around again I think. Although I really seem to want Sergeant for squad leader. I might try moving the ranks down so that there is just the first Corporal at rank 4 and then having First Sergeant as rank 9 and 10. Would that work?

What's even more interesting is according to this site: http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/toe/USInfantry/rifle_company.htm It would be Staff Sergeant for Squad leader and Sergeant next...hmmm. This guy here seems back that site... http://www.easy39th.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=879&p=9683 Seems a change was made. Either way interesting stuff. :)

Bil, would you consider increasing the brightness of the rank insignias a little? Unless the samples you've posted here are just off a little, by comparison to the shots posted of the stock game graphics, your's are a little dark and my eyes have enough trouble reading all the info on the panels as it is.