Scenario Design Problem

I've created a map for a US assault, let me just say now I love the flavour objects and just wish there were more, however on with my problem, I've setup the map, put in the setup zones and also had a look into the A.I. commands to tell the troops where to go etc, but they do nothing.

When I play as the US the defenders setup ok, but when I'm the defenders the US troops stay in the deployment zone, they don't even set up in it, they maintain the default placings from the creation. What am I doing wrong???

The default setup where you place units in the editor and even the red and blue setup zones are pretty irrelevant AIUI. The only thing that matters is where you place the "setup" orders for the AI plan. You also have to assign the units to the AI groups.

If you are playing scenario author mode, you may notice that in the setup period the enemy AI has not yet deployed its forces, they remain in the place you left them in the editor. Only when you hit GO for the start of play does the AI move its forces.

Maybe you could upload your scenario.

To get the AI to place the forces according to an AI plan in a scenario, you need to do the following:

1) Define a deployment zone on the map.

2) Place the units anywhere inside the deployment zone.

3) Assign the units to AI groups, or let them stay in the default group A1 .

4) Make an AI plan, complete with setup orders, for the group or groups by painting certain areas of the map, making sure these areas are inside the AI's deployment zone.

I've done all of this, but still they don't move. All I wanted was to produce a map that I could then use in a quick battle, so setup zones and objectives (I would have thought) would be the only things I require. Let the AI pick the forces, deploy them in the setup zone and then off they go to the objectives, what could be harder?

Whilst I only have a handful of posts here I've got all the CM games and loved them all so not a noobie, but this has got me stumped.

I've done all of this, but still they don't move. All I wanted was to produce a map that I could then use in a quick battle, so setup zones and objectives (I would have thought) would be the only things I require. Let the AI pick the forces, deploy them in the setup zone and then off they go to the objectives, what could be harder?

To get them to go anywhere, you have to give them a plan as to how to go about it. There's no 'strategic AI' without that, in CMx2. Strictly, I suppose, there's no 'strategic AI' at all, since it's all driven by (effectively) a designer-written script.