Military and serious games article

Interesting article Erwin, thanks for posting. I definitely believe military computer sim games are a good learning tool for troops. The military has figured that out, and uses it already in training with tank sims, and such. For the warrior class the most realistic, bloody shooter games desensitize in making it easier to kill another human being. The more you see it the less it bothers one when it happens for real. Studies have shown thankfully that killing each other is something that most people have a hard time doing. It just does not feel right, and many have aimed high. The reality is that training has adapted to this. When the military went from round targets to human silhouettes they found the combat effectiveness went up. The Army has actually pushed games for example the shooter "Americas Army". The guys we have today fighting I believe are the most lethal killers that have been fielded in modern "civilized times".

Combat Mission does not fall into that category of game. Only a FPS shooter can, since it mimics real life the most in that we experience life from a first person perspective. Where CM comes in is in leadership, and in tactics on a grander visual scale. This is more a game for training leaders in how to visualize the battlefield in effective deployment of troops, and formations. I wish we had it when I was in the military as training aid for that.