How to align AI infantry to walls/bocage?

I'm teaching myself how to use AI plans at the moment and theres one thing that I can't solve myself. In the Tutorial scenario this can be observed very well: After the beginning of the battle German infantry on their end of the map rushes to nearby stonewall, "aligns" neatly to (everyone is positioned along the wall), providing a nice base of fire.

I'm trying to do the same, but it seems this is only working on diagonal walls/bocage!?

I've made a little test map in which AI controlled infantry comes from the left.

If I, in the AI plans, place the movement order next to the wall/bocage, like this

2nhdtub.jpg

The result is:

2jezgoh.jpg

They stay on the right side, but not close to wall, but some metres away from it, so they can't see or fire through the bocage in this example.

If you place the movement order directly ON the bocage, they will go close to it, but on the wrong side. In this case there was a manhole, if there isn't, they'll go around.

2edza4i.jpg

Only on diagonal walls/bocage it works.

o9lncm.jpg

24c77ys.jpg

So is there a solution to this or does it only work when the AI is coming from the right side?

Try playing with the FACE command at the end of the move, changing their alignment to 45 deg along the wall/row in either direction. If that doesnt help try 90 (facing along the wall). They should assume the desired position and side, then automatically turn to face the threat.

It can be counterintuituve at first, but I've rarely found it impossible to get infantry to do what I intend, even in WeGo. But it can create some AUGHHH!!!! moments if you click wrong. This will need some further tweaking... In CMSF there were no walls that allowed LOS but not movement.

Rokko

I think you'll find this is a Friendly Board Edge issue. What is the FBE/EBE setting in the scenario editor? If it's not in synch with your map the units will not align with the bocage properly when you paint the bocage line with the order and will attempt to move past it. To remedy this, you'll have to buy new units as the units 'remember' this information.

Rokko, looking at your very first screenshot, I've found that it works pretty well to increase your brush size one unit more than it is in that shot. Keep the center the same as in the screenshot, but just increase the brush size by one level. I've noticed that the infantry will basically butt up against the bocage in the direction you want. Hopefully that'll help you. ;)

Wow, wouldn't have thought the solution would be that simple! Increasing the brush size didn't work, I had tried that already. But fixing the Friendly Board Edge did the trick, I just didn't know that this had such an impact on the game and since the map was only for testing purposes I hadn't set it.