New file at the Repository: Desert Fox (2011-05-18)

I'll only add that this scenario provides both ultra-long range gunnery as well as skulking between dunes. Scenario length is one hour and it starts with a small recon clash, gradually escalating from there to multiple tank companies. PBEM file size is about 18 MB or less according to my tests.

I'll only add that this scenario provides both ultra-long range gunnery as well as skulking between dunes. Scenario length is one hour and it starts with a small recon clash, gradually escalating from there to multiple tank companies. PBEM file size is about 18 MB or less according to my tests.

looks to be fun. Am playing as Americans and am planning on getting beat.

Thanks for making this map Sergei, it's beautiful! I haven't had so much fun with a game since Microprose's original M1 Tank Platoon! You really did a wonderful job.

Well, I just wanted to add that I enjoyed your map more by making my own "desert environment mod". I'm sure you've already done this, but for anyone else here's what I did: I swapped out the ground texture files from my original CMSF install (using RezExplode, of course), making sure to keep the original 'ground sand.bmp' texture with the correct "dunes" look to it (extracted from the 'Version 100.brz' file) as I believe the texture in later patches was changed to a more grittier/rocky look with blackish dirty particles (as in CMBN, which to me looks like wet/beach sand, not dry desert sand). Nothing wrong with that - it's to be expected for Normandy, after all. The rocky plateau area looks better (to me) with original CMSF desert rocky terrain textures too. I then copied and renamed the CMSF 'ground dirt.bmp' to 'distant ground.bmp' to ensure the green world CMBN background was altered to the exact same texture used in CMSF, to line it all up with the distant desert mountans. As a finishing touch, I copied and renamed the ambient "windy" sound file from CMSF to 'background day combat.wav' to change the ambient sound of birds chirping to the correct windy desolate desert sound. Of course, I did all this file copying and editing in a seperate folder called 'z_my_desert_environment_mod" and dropped it into my CMBN Data/z folder. So, whenever I want to go back to Normandy, I just move my desert mod folder out to somewhere else.

I was thinking of uploading my little desert enviro mod to the Repository, but then I thought it wouldn't be the done thing... as in, the original textures and ambient sound would be from a different game (CMSF) and not technically legal for me to do that. At least it isn't too difficult to do it yourself, I think I already covered how to do it above.

It then occurred to me that with a few extra graphical tweaks and some mission editing, it wouldn't be impossible to completely change the game into CM: Afrika Korps 2!! I mean, what do you think? We know we can edit the textures of the uniforms/vehicles... anyone else thinking how cool it would be to make a complete Afrika Korps mod with full Rommel Campaign? Oh well... of course, we'd still have to wait for the 'Commonwealth' add-on to have full access to "Monty" and the British units... at least we could have a taster of things to come eh? :)

To me this shows once again how much this game is worth every penny I spent on it, and I thank Battlefront for making your engine so moddable!

Speaking of different environments, I guess we can't have Ostfront in this engine without the proper Soviet units/models, but we could absolutely make a snowy Ardennes forest Battle of the Bulge mod, couldn't we? :D