Question regarding spotting and skill level.

According to the manual, the Veteran skill level on up does not allow for friendly soldiers hearing unspotted enemy forces. Obviously that was intention, but what's the rational behind it?

It seems that soldiers should be able to hear them regardless of whether they can see them. Example: A bazooka team wouldn't necessarily be able to see a Panther around a sharp turn of a sunken road 50 meters away bordered by bocage, but they may very well be able to hear it and thus gauge its approx. distance/location.

According to the manual, the Veteran skill level on up does not allow for friendly soldiers hearing unspotted enemy forces. Obviously that was intention, but what's the rational behind it?

It seems that soldiers should be able to hear them regardless of whether they can see them. Example: A bazooka team wouldn't necessarily be able to see a Panther around a sharp turn of a sunken road 50 meters away bordered by bocage, but they may very well be able to hear it and thus gauge its approx. distance/location.

I'm not sure, but I think this has to do with the player being able to hear the sounds, not that the soldiers are not aware of sound contacts. At least that's what I'm hoping. Would be nice to have some clarification though.

This has to do with the difference between Relative and absolute spotting. For Veteran and above the actual unit itself has to spot the opposing unit/ or hear it, and not rely on "hearsay" chatter from other friendly units.

In CMx1 this was called "Borg" collective spotting where ALL friendly units would immediately know EVERYTHING about one opposing unit that one friendly unit had eyes on. If two friendly units at far sides of the map both have eyes on an opposing unit (say a tank at the top of a big hill) each friendly unit can spot the tank independently.

I think that is the question you are asking? (right?) Re-reading your question my answer may have missed the mark. hmmm

Here's what it says in the game manual:

For the Basic Training skill level:

"You can hear the voices of unspotted enemies."

For the Veteran sill level:

"You cannot hear the unspotted enemies."

Perhaps it is the player who cannot hear the sounds, but the troops can (provided they meet the criteria -- distance, conditions, etc. -- to hear the enemy). A little clarification would be cool, though.

This has to do with the difference between Relative and absolute spotting. For Veteran and above the actual unit itself has to spot the opposing unit/ or hear it, and not rely on "hearsay" chatter from other friendly units.

In CMx1 this was called "Borg" collective spotting where ALL friendly units would immediately know EVERYTHING about one opposing unit that one friendly unit had eyes on. If two friendly units at far sides of the map both have eyes on an opposing unit (say a tank at the top of a big hill) each friendly unit can spot the tank independently.

I think that is the question you are asking? (right?)

No ... I totally get that aspect of it, and I love it! The "Borg" spotting was a bit gamey in CMx1 in retrospect. Where I'm confused is why a unit that could potentially meet the criteria of hearing cannot because he hasn't properly spotted it. Unless, of course, I'm taking the term "spotting" too literal as meaning a solely visual action.

Just guessing, since the comments are made within the context of what information is revealed to the player on various levels of FOW, it is referring to what the player can hear. In CMx1 you could move around the map and hear voices / machinery.

Just guessing, since the comments are made within the context of what information is revealed to the player on various levels of FOW, it is referring to what the player can hear. In CMx1 you could move around the map and hear voices / machinery.

If so, the question then is will a sound contact come through the speakers if I click on the specific unit that hears it, then go away when I click on a unit that does not hear it?

If that's the case, then the developers have certainly outdone themselves!

If so, the question then is will a sound contact come through the speakers if I click on the specific unit that hears it, then go away when I click on a unit that does not hear it?

If that's the case, then the developers have certainly outdone themselves!

I don't know if you will hear it at below veteran level or not if you click on the unit, but if this carried over from CMx1, then you may be able to mouse over to the screen area where the sound contact was and hear something. It used to work that way.

As an example, there've been times when I've been watching my soldiers and heard the sound of bullets hitting the ground right beside them, but haven't been able to hear the sound of a gun firing. On other occasions I've heard the sound of a gun firing in the distance just before the sound of bullets hitting, but without any sign of a visual contact. If I move the camera (in the second example) I can find the exact location of the gun based on the sound.

In the first example, I (the player) can't hear the sound of the gun firing at all because the soldiers on the field couldn't hear it. The same is true of muzzle smoke and dust and other clues that help you the player find enemy units. On the higher skill levels, if the soldiers don't see or hear it, neither do you. But if they hear something – as they often do – it helps them (and you) visually locate the enemy unit (with a "?" contact if nothing else).