Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Adjust fire!

I was playing a scenario where my HQ was calling in fire for a 60mm mortar it was the opening barrage so there was no delay for spotting, I targeted where I believed the enemy HQ was. as the battle progressed I noticed the enemy in that area was unhurt I was then horrified to notice the mortar rounds were landing 500m north of target. Needless to say I was unimpressed.

Throughout the rest of the mission I had to adjust fire after calling the mission as the mortar would be well off target on its initial lay (usually I caught this before they fired a round). It certainly destroyed the battle plan, usually my gunners take 10-20 enemy a piece and the areas I called fire on we certainly key locations, must be those incompetent junior officers again.

I hope you don’t think I’m being insulting here – but you do realise that the Indirect Fire assets go through the adjusting process as happens in real life?

So you point to the ground and say – ‘Arty here please’ and what happens is the FOO/FIST/OP pixels look at where you have pointed – come back to you and point out the target by referring back to it from a different reference point, one they are happy you are both talking about the same target, they look at the pixel map (I’ve got a very good PC and a monitor with a VERY high definition and I can assure you they have maps) and scratch their heads, play with compasses, binoculars and animal intestines while they try to make sense of the map and get a decent grid reference for the target.

So they send their Fire Orders to the CP and down comes the first adjusting round - well off your designated target – and the Arty lads get on with their job of adjusting the fire onto the target. Drop 800, Left 500, etc etc until the adjusting gun gets near enough to the target for Fire For Effect, which is what you are really waiting for. So you may find that the adjustment drops a few rounds into places you don’t want it to, but that’s what you get if you are calling arty down on bad guys who are near your troops. Currently, using 105mm in the real world, a ‘Danger Close’ mission is where your troops are 500m from the target , and I think it was 700m for 155mm.

Whilst playing CM:SF and calling down arty, you had to realise that you could get 90lb’s of HE on your own troops if they were close to the target – and often that’s when you really needed the Arty, you had screwed up, your pixel squaddies were getting slaughtered and you wanted the Arty to make the problem just go away, and often they did, but once in a while they just made it worse.

And if you already knew this – apologies.

Could it be the bad guys artillery coming down?

He is talking about opening barrages which should ALWAYS be on target. There is some general "quirkyness" with the direction of mortars right now in general. The more you test them you will see.

I believe this is a problem and I think Battlefront is looking into it right now.