Licensing Problem

Hello! I just got a new computer and installed all of my CMSF modules, but when I tried to run the program I got a message saying that the program must be run by an administrator with privileges before the program can initialize. I am the administrator! What do I do!???? Thank you.

With Windows Vista and Windows 7 running as a 'Computer Administrator' is not enough. The 'admin' account is actually a fully separate account with additional capabilities.

You should launch the games by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu. This should give the game the necessary rights to write to the '\Program Files' or other UAC (User Account Control) protected directories. You can also modify the shortcut so that you do not have to right-click it each time. Instead right-click and select "Properties" from the popup menu. In here go to the "Compatibility" tab and at the bottom of this tab is a section labeled "Privilege Level". Checkmark the box next to the text that says "Run this program as an administrator". Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'.

You may also have to watch out for security software (anti-virus/firewalls), which may block the functioning of eLicense games and some firewalls and their utilities may make the licensing process a bit more complicated.

Finally there is the possibility of running into issues with DEP (Data Execution Prevention). Our Knowledgebase article on DEP should hopefully provide enough details IF it is necessary. Sometimes you may need to add the executable file, but you will not find the 'Runservice.exe' file until you have successfully licensed the game.

If you have access to the old computer still, then you could unlicense the modules there and that would free up an activation. If the games have been uninstalled, then you could reinstall them and that should allow you to unlicense them (if Windows hasn't been reinstalled, etc.). If you no longer have access to the old computer then you'll need to open a ticket with the Helpdesk. Supply your license keys and they can be 'reset'. Martin does this and currently he's a bit pre-occupied with the pending CMBN release, so it may take a few days.