Idiot in search of help.

Lorak

this isn't so much CM related, ecpect for I have hosed my system. I'm really looking to see if anyone here has any advice.

Ok, here is my long and stupid story.

Bought a new USB joy stick. Plugged it in and worked great.

Tried to sign on to the net and I got a "modem not connected or in use by another job".

So I shut down and went to bed.

When I rebooted this morning I got a "modem conflict" error. Couldn't not go into safe mode ect..

Tried to re-install windows...same error..

So I did a deleate and re-install windows.

This got me into windows and everything appeared fine.

Now when I try to use connection wizard ect..

I get a stange "not enough memory, please shut down other applications" blah, blah blah.

I've got 128 of memory and nothing else is running. So I am thinking I may have a memory conflict of something.

Does anyone out here have any suggestions?

Thanks

Lorak

System info

Win98

P3 500

128 memory

Robotics 56k win modem

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 10-20-2000).]

Do you have any other USB devices other than your joystick ? To be honest, reinstalling Windows probably wasn't the thing to do in this case.

Go to Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > double-click on the Computer icon in the Device list. This should bring up an IRQ usage listing. What IRQs are your modem and your USB Controller using ? If they're sharing an IRQ, then it is possible that your joystick may interfere with your modem. Unplugging the joystick when you try to get on-line may help avoid this.

Go to Control Panel > Modems > Diagnostics tab (assuming that Windows recognizes your current modem) > select your modem from the serial devices listed in the window and click the More Info button. This will send AT commands to your modem to get info from it. "Error" replies are normal, so don't worry about them. However you should get some text responses from the modem - often telling the firmware version and other details about the modem. If you don't get any of this info, but instead get an error, then there is a problem with your modem's configuration.

Let us know what you come up with and we'll continue on from there.

Thanks,

Printed out the info and will try it out when I get home tonight.

I agree that re-installing windows was most likely a bad idea. But I really could not find any other choice. I couldn't even get my machine to boot in safe mode.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Thanks for the help Schrullenhaft,

Managed to get everything back and running good. (modem is still junk, but will dial out)

Decided the best way to handle it is to get rid of it. Having cable installed this weekend. smile.gif

Lorak

------------------

Cesspool