Good Recon Practices

Scouts can be used effectively as spotters. But you have to keep in mind their actual role. Intel collecting while avoiding contact with the enemy. So basically, if you position your scouts on a piece of high ground and they come under enemy fire, then they failed.

You can play the scout/recon game however you want, thats obviously the theme of this thread and others. But if you want to use them doctrinally then dont use them at all. CMSF, in most instances, simulates the point of attack or defense in what would really be a much larger (and longer) military operation. In which case the scouts would have completed their recon and either pulled off the objective or moved past it in an attempt to gain intel on future routes, objectives, etc.

But there are instances where recon of the objective could be conducted by the player. Look to my Stryker tutorial and youtube vid for an example. Doctrinally, even a leaders recon of his objective should still be focused on specific intel requirements he needs and framed by his enemy sitemp.

Links:

http://cmsfwarchest.blogspot.com/2010_12_12_archive.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/tjcmsf

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok good to know. When given recon units (those 4-man teams) I always feel obliged to use them. After a lot of trial and error, I found that the best way of using is to look and avoid contact and I was wondering whether there was a more active way of using them.

jnt62006 have you tried GeorgeMC's "Forging Steel" campaign? The first scenario deals specifically with a recon mission. Do you have any tips on how to succesfully conduct recon tasks set out, without getting shot to pieces?

Sticky, I will check out the Forging Steel campaign and get back to you.

I also put up a couple posts on the Opponent Finder board, looking for PBEM games for CMSF and CM:N. Any one on here interested?

Cool, looking forward to this. By the way, maybe worth posting that you're looking for an opponent in the CMBN forums as well. If you don't find any you can always send me a setup :).