I say, here's fun!

I'm SURE I'm not the first person to do this but a search didn't turn up any threads that looked like they were about it, so ...

I just achieved a total victory (83-15) over the PC with 247 casualties (52 KIA) inflicted to 1 sustained (0 KIA) in a 2000 point game. The way I did it was ultimately pointless but rather fun so I thought I'd share it.

Was messing around with CMBO and got rather bored so decided to try an experiment. Set up a game with 2000 points apiece, `small' map (it wasn't but nevermind), urban, moderate trees, small hills, with myself as Axis defending against the CPU Allies. All units allowed.

When it came to equipment purchasing I bought 10 75mm bunkers and 9 MG bunkers (and, to use up a few spare points a veteran MGer). Then I built a `ring of steel' around the town I was defending. Well, more of a semicircle of steel, but you get the point. Paired up the anti-tank and anti-personnel bunkers with the clearest possible views of any enemy approaches, then hit go.

One of my bunkers got knocked out by a fluky shot, eight more ran out of ammunition towards the end but not a single hostile unit got anywhere near any of my flags. I just sat back and watched the fireworks. Which were copious.

Next time you're at a loose end, or just want to take some revenge on your computer, give it a go! tongue.gif (Oh, and next time anyone accuses fortifications of being useless you'll be able to prove they aren't!)

Valancourt,

The AI is much better at defending than it is at attacking, so I'm not shocked by your report. If you pulled that off against a live foe, though, unless that person happened to be certifiable, then you'd have something to brag about.

You told us what you had, but you don't describe what the computer drew as a force. That random selection could have had a huge impact on the outcome. What and whom did the computer get for forces? Did you give the AI any bonus? From what you describe, you had a potent, static, force against both infantry and armor, but were you facing heavy artillery and/or fighter bombers? Did the AI simply march into your guns, or did it smoke your positions before closing? Did you face the dreaded PB eating Stuart or something similar? Did the AI use offset aimpoints for direct fire HE to avoid exposing units to direct fire? Did it coordinate fire and maneuver? Did the Allies have combat engineers? If British, were any Funnies in play? The Crocodile can not only roast your pojies, but win a gun duel (survive multiple hits) with a Pak 40 PB. I've done it. The Wasp, cleverly handled, can also do enormous damage, not to mention setting terrain ablaze and blocking your LOS.

If you still have the map, I'd be most interested in seeing how your optimal defense fared against a live foe with free choice of force.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...