C&C in CMBN

No commanbd delays, those have disappeared completely.

Unit out of communication will spot slower (they will not get the info other units have), will have lower morale, will not benefit from modifiers from the next higher leader, will rally /recover slower, will be less willing (due to the previous points) to move under fire or attack, will be slower (or unable) to call in artillery, will be slower (or unable) to report enemies THEY have spotted to other units..... I might have forgot some things....

Changes to morale are not large, but they add up (based on CMSF observations), and all other things being equal, the player that keeps his units in C&C will have a definite advantage.

C2 is a whole subsystem in CMx2, that can be rather complex.

In short: there is a chain of command over which information is exchanged. Each unit can use different methods of communications to keep in the chain: voice, sight or radio.

From teams and sections to platoon HQ's, to company HQ's, to battalion HQ's. Top level command can be off map, but still play an important role in distributing information.

The most important effect is on spotting, as units get information about enemy positions, so they are prepared to look at those locations. It also has effects on morale, but that is more difficult to measure.

And calling in artillery requires a C2 link. There can be direct links between forward observers and their batteries, or they have to go through intermediate command if support is called by general HQ's. (I don't know how this works out with on-board artillery and a caller from a different platoon than the support unit).

I don't know how good the communication channels are in this WWII setting, but voice and sight will be equal to CMSF and CMA, radio will probably be a bit unreliable.

I also wonder how fixed telephone lines are represented for a defensive force.