Need help with Mac G4 laptop screen size problem

Lt. Kije

After a long layoff, I'm trying to return to playing CMBB. Problem is, I've got a new machine, a pretty new Mac powerbook G4. Has this odd native resolution of 1280 X 854.

When I try to launch CMBB, having booted via System 9.2, CMBB complains about screen size being too big. "Set a smaller screen size then try again," is the upshot. But in the Monitors Control Panel I find only one screen size to select: 1280 X 854!

1GHz G4

512 MB RAM

Video card: "ATY" (ATI Radeon??) 64MB

(machine was bought for me; I don't recall video card choice)

Anybody got a workaround, a fix, or a word of advice? And yes, I did remove the Classic RAVE extension from the Extensions folder.

It is a cruel irony that Battlefront cast its CMBB lot irrevocably with technology that Apple was just about to declare jihad against. CMBB is my favorite game of all time, but it has been many months since I've even tried to play it.

Many thanks for any help,

-- Lt. Kije

Baffled. Always baffled.

Hmmm. The original problem does seem a bit odd. On my admittedly somewhat earlier (800Mhz, 32MB VRAM) Powerbook, I have a wide range of choices for resolutions smaller than the native 1280x854.

I also notice that neither CMBB nor CMBO seems to mind running in 1280x854 size.

You could always try using other than recommended video resolutions in the monitors control panel. From a Classic application I just checked, I get a large number of resolution choices there as well.

Perhaps you should try trashing the CM preferences file and starting again.