Thin Black Line

I just played this mission for the first time and was thoroughly drubbed by the AI (I was playing as Blue).

*SPOILER*

Called a ceasefire, which shows that there are Syrian units in trenches all over the map, to say nothing of the ATGMs up on the woodlines.

So, what's the best way to approach this one? Use my mortars systematically on every trench line I can see?

I designed the scenario and even I wonder. It is supposed to be difficult and is based on some RL battles between the Syrian SF and the IDF in 82.

The Syrians have a variety of plans and setups, but will not maneuver once in place. The Marines are moving through the valley not necessarily expecting resistance.

The best approach appears to be to probe and reccon the Red forces. Once you know where they are, concentrate on a flank and try to destroy their forces piecemeal. The Marines have enough forces to do the job, but not if you go in piecemeal.

Btw, watch out for the minefields. :)

Btw, watch out for the minefields. :)

Hehe, yeah, I found that out the hard way. :D

So, I replayed the scenario after I initially posted this thread. My strategy this time was to first get recon / forward observer units into positions on both flanks that allowed me to observe most of the battlefield. With that done, I peppered the treeline on the ridge with generous amounts of 155mm fire, and simultaneously hit any trenches that looked to have a good view of the battlefield. Only then did I advance my infantry and tanks forward...and found the aforementioned minefields. ;)

Not long after beginning my press on the left flank (where my first and only infantry advance was), the AI surrendered with ~30 minutes left. A survey of the battlefield showed that almost all Syrian units were down to ~2-3 men, and all armored vehicles had been destroyed. My casualties were ~7 men, mostly to mines.

Very well-made scenario. :) Lots of good options / decisions for the player to make.