Newbie question

Just received Kursk 1943. Guys, I've played wargames for many years and served in the military so I do have some basic understanding of how to make a coordinated attack. But it seems that my force is way to small in meet the objectives. In the campaign game I can only purchase a company (+) of Infantry, a platoon of tanks and some support assets. This force seems way to small to engage and entrenched enemy located on hills. What do I need to do to meet the objectives? Is it micromanagement of every soldiers actions? Thanks for your help

It can feel like that at first.

Perseverance with <pause> & regular saves will show you it is more than possible.

ToW does help you play at your own speed. If you want to micro-manage you can go crazy if you want. Sometimes you need to micro, others the AI does a fair job particularly once you get experienced units, & they quite happily vanquish the enemy with very little attention for you.

Use the pause when things get hairy & double check what everything is doing, adjust as req'd & save often.

Bottom line is get used to the way the game works & appreciate the depths, that way you can have many replays looking for the 'perfect game'.

I actually don't mind losing in this game as there are so many interesting moments along the way.

If you just can't win & get disheartened use the editor to reduce the veterancy of the opposing units a little. A switch from elite to veteran keeps it tough but gives a you bit more chance.

I have the same issue, the first mission as the Germans feels way overwhelming. I am not sure what a good composition is, but I tried bombing them with mortars for a good amount of time and they still have alot of AT guns surviving as it seems. I also tried a rush to the bottom line, but that just gets you a lot of mobility and fatal kills on the way and getting through the chockepoint doesn't work well either.

I tried finding a "how to play the first german mission" on youtube, but there is barely any gameplay for Kursk.

Also one time, the game froze and locked up and I had to kill the task. This was the one time, where I got to the middle of the map decently organized.

• 2 weeks later...

If you've one or two LeIG-18, you should be able to destroy most of the ennemy guns without losing anyone. In the first mission, your mortar teams will be greenhorns, so will require some luck to be succesfull, as their accuracy will be quite low. It's still usefull to have a mortar team or a SdKfz-151/2, they'll gain some experience and will be much more effective in the next battle.