Settings for GeForce FX5700?

You can start by maxing everything out to quality.

Note that for things like compression "off" is the higher quality value.

Some things like trilinear filtering don't make sense in CM and will needlessly slow it down.

So turn everything up and only if it's too slow start taking things off. AA and resolution you can see yourself. Trilinear filtering would be the first to go. Try to keep uncompressed textures.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

You can start by maxing everything out to quality.

Note that for things like compression "off" is the higher quality value.

Some things like trilinear filtering don't make sense in CM and will needlessly slow it down.

So turn everything up and only if it's too slow start taking things off. AA and resolution you can see yourself. Trilinear filtering would be the first to go. Try to keep uncompressed textures.

Thanks for the info. What should I do about Antialiasing and anisotropic filtering - at the moment I've got them set to 'Application controlled' - should I leave it like that?

No, CM doesn't control them, so you should.

Turn on AA until your performance drops too much.

I don't think the effect of anisotropic filtering, or any texture filtering for that matter, will be visible in CM for normal use (this would probably be worth testing), so I'd turn it off.

I actually experimented a little.

Apparently, for CM you can forget about all the texture filter and optimization settings for quality, I couldn't see a difference in a few quick tests, except for very special cases like tank tracks which are 2D objects drawn into a 3D model, and then there was more of just a difference and no "better" or "worse".

There is a very noticable performance difference, though, all the better image quality settings that you don't see cost a lot of performance. With everything turned to max quality and max AA my 5900XT didn't like 1600x1200 anymore. So the pwoer of modern cards is not endless in relation to CM's needs.

I ended up just using AA for now and defaulting the rest. Looks good, plays good.