Flickering problem

What resolution and refresh rate are you running at ? The vertical refresh rate is possibly too low and that may be the 'flickering' you're speaking of. I don't know why something like that would change with a DirectX update, unless you're seeing the '60Hz DirectX/OpenGL' problem with the Windows 2000/XP drivers (though I don't believe that newer drivers have this problem).

To change the refresh rate that CM runs at, delete the Prefs file and you'll need to reselect your resolution over again. The first resolution and refresh rate offered should be at your current desktop resolution, but at a refresh rate that is that maximum offered by the video driver at that resolution.

Maybe you should download and run a 'refresh fix'. Windows 2000 and XP have a slight problem with 60Hz being the default refresh rate in Direct3D (and maybe OpenGL) games. I assumed that the newer drivers didn't have this problem.

You can get some utilities at Guru 3D (Videocard utilities > Overclocking and Tweaking > down the page is 'RefreshForce 1.1 or you could go to Videocard Drivers > NVIDIA detonator drivers > NVRefresh Tool, though I don't know how well it works with current drivers).

Typically when CM goes through the resolution selection process it starts at your current desktop resolution, but it uses the highest refresh rate available to the driver, which may be higher than your current desktop refresh rate or higher than what your monitor may allow. So generally speaking it shouldn't matter what display you have selected or what your current desktop refresh rate is - CM should pull up the highest refresh rate defined by the driver for that resolution under Direct3D. However you may want to try to change your desktop refresh rate, delete the Prefs file again and see if this makes a difference (I'd guess that it won't).

That's an interesting program. I set the refresh rate for my resolution to 60 and removed all other resolutions from the list. Didn't solve the problem.

The game worked fine with my previous driver so I'm going to download it and install and will see how it works. I assume the game looked for all refresh rates with that driver.

If it doesn't then I have to assume there is a conflict with the new dx9b. If it does then the problem is with the new nvidia driver. I'll then have to decide if I want to leave the old one in although as a rule I prefer to run all updated drivers. I have to get the drivers from Dell since the nvidia ones don't work. Btw, I'm having the same problem with another game, Myth II. I'll be able to do this in a couple of days and will post the results. In the meantime thanks for your help.

I had some time this morning to work on it. The problem is definitely the new nvidia/dell driver. I don't know what they did to screw everything up but the new one is twice as large as the old, about 6 meg difference. Anyway, I'm going to leave the old one in for now to be able to continue to play two of my favorite games.