CMSF + Brits will not start under Win 7 64 Bit

Hi all,

I've just acquired a brand new PC and have been installing my most played games one by one. I got to CMSF today but I've had no joy with it.

First I installed the original Paradox version from CD. No problem, that ran fine. Then I installed the British Forces module and acquired the elicense (success message given). After that was installed either nothing happens when I attempt to launch the game or I get the 0xc0000005 error.

Reading other threads and looking at the Knowledgebase this appears to be a known issue with DEP. Fine, I made the recommended adjustments and ensured that my firewall was disabled completely during any attempt to launch the game (also rebooted several times after playing with the DEP settings as advised).

No success. Now, I checked the LicCtrl Service and it is running as expected. However, Runservice.exe is not present in the 'running processes' tab in Task Manager. I ran it manually and it appeared but it does not automatically appear at startup or otherwise.

So, that's where I'm at. I'm not so much worried about CMSF as such but I am worried that I won't be able to licence and play CMBN when the time comes. The irony of the whole situation is that after being so worried about CMx1 not working on Win 7, CMBB and CMAK run like a charm after straight installations from the CD and patched up to 1.03 yet CMSF won't play.

I'd be grateful if you could offer some more advice.

What security software are you running ? You may want to mention every anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware/firewall/internet-security utility you're running, including some utilities that may optimize and protect the registry os some other function. Some programs may need to have 'exceptions/trusts' made for certain files, while others may need features disabled or be completely uninstalled.

The 'LicCtrl Service' IS the 'Runservice.exe' file. So one "running" and the other not is awfully strange (and seemingly impossible since they are one-in-the-same). The 'Runservice.exe / LicCtrl Service' gets silently copied and installed in the background during the final stages of the first time the licensing process is run on the computer ('unlicensing' does NOT remove these files). The licensing process attempts to communicate twice through the firewall, once with a 'temp file' that always has a different name and then the second time with the game executable file. If either of these gets blocked, then the licensing process doesn't finish properly. However it looks like in your case that the things should have been installed properly since you got a 'success' message at the conclusion of the licensing process.

The DEP settings you have made include turning ON DEP for ALL PROCESS with the exception of the CMSF game files and the 'Runservice.exe' file, is that correct ?

One other thing I would suggest with your installation process is that you patch with the Paradox 1.10 patch ('Paradox (Retail) patch' section) BEFORE installing the British Forces module. If you do not, then you will be missing some data files which include certain graphics and this will result in some missing textures. Unfortunately you will need to reinstall the British Forces module since 1.10 is older than the 1.20 version included in the British Forces module (among other differences).

Is the British Forces module the only CMSF module that you have ?

Thanks Schrullenhaft,

This is a fresh factory installation of Win 7 64bit and the only security software I have installed is Comodo Internet Security Premium (Windows Firewall is disabled). It was compeletely disabled at all times during installation and attempt to launch my latest CMSF installation attempt. Other than that, only my hardware router firewall is enabled.

The 'LicCtrl Service' IS the 'Runservice.exe' file. So one "running" and the other not is awfully strange (and seemingly impossible since they are one-in-the-same).

This is what I thought. Yes, DEP is on for all with only CMSF.exe, CMSF British Module.exe and Runservice.exe excepted (and I have repeated this step several times as suggested).

I had missed the Paradox 1.10 initially so thanks, grabbed that. Still no success though.

Comodo Internet Security is one of the problematic security suites when it comes to eLicense. I believe that you will need to go into the Comodo software and DEACTIVATE 'Defense +'. Do this from Main menu > Defense + > Defense + Settings > 'Deactivate the Defense + permanently (requiring a restart)' checkbox.

Making this change (and restarting) should hopefully allow eLicense to run. It may be possible to add 'exceptions/trusts' specifically for the Defense+ portion of the Comodo Internet Security, but I don't have the details on that.

I made a change to my earlier post that you may not have seen... You will need to install the 1.10 Paradox patch and THEN REINSTALL the British Forces module (which has a newer and much different executable for 'CM Shock Force.exe').

Well, you really were right about comodo. I still couldn't get the game to run even with Defence + disabled so I completely removed every trace of Comodo from my system. Now the game works absolutely fine so thank you very much.

I replaced Comodo with PC Tools Firewall Plus which has no issues whatsoever.