Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Editor results in errors in several scripts

Hi there,

As with previous games I like to customize the game to my liking, using the provided editor.

When I open the Call to Arms campaign and without altering any settings of that campaign save it under a different name the editor tells me there are errors in the scripts. The editor then provides a choice: save and ignore error scripts or don't save and edit scripts.

When I choose to save, the game works but in-game events etc won't pop up during game. When I choose not to save I am directed to a screen where I can manually try to amend the scripts or have it amended via an updater. Having no knowledge of scripts whatsoever I wanted to use the updater. However, the editor then freezes.

Thus there are 2 issues:

1. Scripts have errors when trying to customize campaigns

2. Updater of scripts freezes the editor.

Is this a known problem and will there be a patch available for the editor?

Regards,

Dirk

Soute..,

I have done alot of editing the main campaigns during testing (as well as some of the other earlier SC games), and can tell you that usually when you choose to manually edit the scripts, it usually doesn't actually freeze, it simply pauses (sometimes for several minutes) before you are finally able to move your mouse to edit the scripts. Just be patient. It may be better to just choose "save without editing scripts" in my experience. ;)

Second, any time you choose to edit some features in the campaign, it lead to unforeseen problems with the scripts and can cause some scripts, DEs, and even unit problems that are difficult to foresee until after the fact. If you don' t have a lot of computer savvy (like me), just use trial and error until you get the results you are looking for. It can take a number of false starts before you get it right. ;)

As they say, practice makes perfect. :D

Hi Snowstorm,

Thanks for your reply.

The thing is, as I mentioned, that even when I change nothing but just save an original campaign under a different name that errors in scripts occur??

Also, yes, I can save and ignore errors. The game works, but without the events. But that is only half the fun. Is it not that the scripts give the look and feel of a WW1 game? Otherwise I can just play SC 2 if I want to conquer Germany.

Last, I have no scripting experience. So manually editing the scripts is not an option.

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Just to clarify the message you receive mentions that there 'may' be errors in the scripts and in this case it is a good idea select NO and be directed to the scripts dialog.

The reason for this is that the individual scripts are only valid if the right conditions in the campaign are true. All this means is that when you make some changes to the campaign, some scripts will need to be recompiled to ensure that they are still valid due to any of the changes you make.

Once you are directed to the scripts dialog you will see the list of scripts and those that have an '*' at the end need to be recompiled.

The easiest way to do this is to simply click on the 'Update *' button. This button will only update the scripts with the '*' at the end.

As Snowstorm mentions this may take some time and the Editor is not frozen, it is just working through the scripts which can take up to 5 minutes on some systems if the number of updates is large.

Hope this helps,

Hubert