A few questions for the more experienced scenario designers

First off.

Playtesting your own scenarios.

So I've been playtesting this beast, http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94898 . First up I almost cried last night, I lost an hours worth of playtesting due to an out of memory error :'(. My main question is though, I'm getting my ass handed to me in this, way behind schedule and I've already gone over my casualty target (5%). Now when you playtest your own scenarios and you are struggling does it usually mean the enemy needs toning down (not much room to add extra friendlies).

I'm not the best player, usually when I play a scenario I have to save and reload quite a few times in order to meet casualty parameters. So I guess my main question on this is how do you know if the scenario is too tough or if your lack of success is just down to lack of skill?

My other question is about multiple AI plans. This is a 3 hour scenario (I may even extend it to 4) so I guess not too many people will be playing this more than once, Is it really worth the effort in creating and testing extra AI plans on a scenario that is essentially a static defence on the AI side.

Well, not that im an experienced scenario designer, havnt released any of mine yet :P

but if your sending a company sized force against a batallion sized force in defence I dont think thats really logical, and I would suggest maybe taking a company or more away from the defenders, those are alot of bad guys!

I am not a scenario designer but in regards to your first question about how do you know if it is too tough. You don't really, which is why some scenario designers call for playtesters to 'kick the tires' and take the scenario for a spin and provide feedback.

In regards to your latter question about mutiple AI plans. If you don't provide multiple AI plans, you for certain are going to consign your scenario to being only played once or twice at most (unless it is a good human vs human scenario as well).

The size of the scenario in relation to time is irrelevant in my opinion. There are some long scenarios (2 hour +) that I have played 6 or more times because they are challenging. Just because a scenario is 3 or more hours in length doesn't mean it is destined to be a one shot. If you provide the elements that makes a scenario engaging, people will play it more than once.

I would say the best way to "balance" the scenario, is to adjust the victory parameters..the stronger side should have parameters that make it harder for them, and the weaker side should have parameters that make up for their weakness some...so if you have one side with only a couple of RPG teams,and the other side is a battalion, the RPG teams really win if they can get in and knock out an armored vehicle or two, even if they suffer heavy losses (in %) themselves.