Making a comeback

I'm trying to reload Shock Force. I purchased the Paradox CD years ago. I reinstalled it on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and updated it to 1.21. It started just fine. I then purchased the 1.31 update but now it's asking me for my license number. I don't seem to have anything in the old packaging with a license number. I thought with the disk I was fine.

Can anyone direct me to my next step?

I'm not aware that we sell a 1.31 patch for CMSF. There is a 1.21 patch that is purchased for people who have the Paradox version of CMSF (without any modules). Once you install that, license it, you can then install the 1.31 patch.

I would have assumed that the license key would have been emailed along with the download link. Did you get any such email ? If you didn't it is possible that the spam filters for your email provider may have either rejected it or classified it as spam.

As you may have found out, you can login to your Battlefront Store account and find the download link (which expires in 365 days or 10 download attempts - please make a permanent backup) and the license key.

Yep, you're right, purchased 1.21, installed and loaded 1.31.

My problem now is the game won't start. When I double click the icon, Windows 7 rotating Blue Circle appears for 10-15 seconds then disappears. I set the program to run as administrator and I tried the two DEP options but CMSF just won't start.

Comodo Internet Security Premium, SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebyte are used.

I only ask that the elicense be improved. Perhaps there is a way a built in troubleshooting program could oversee program execution and identify what is stopping start up???

We license the eLicense copy-protection/DRM system, so there's a limitation as to what can be done with it.

Comodo Internet Security causes problems with eLicense. Typically the quickest solution is to disable the 'Defense+' feature of the software. It's possible that adding 'trusted files' for the Defense+ portion may work around this, but previous efforts at 'trusting' with Comodo have not worked and only the disabling of Defense+ seemed to have worked consistently.

I've tried turning off all portions of Comodo, Virus protection, Firewall, and Defense+ but to no avail. Windows 7 needs to notice that an application has been attempted to start and having failed, provide immediate notification on why there was a failure. It should not be this hard.

Guess I'll go bitch at MS, Comodo and eLicense and see if there are other options.

It doesn't say to reboot to make it effective but I tried it, disabling all three portions, and rebooting. Same problem, no game.

I did look elsewhere, Control Panel, eLicense Control (32 bit). When I attempt to open this I get an error message: Explorer.EXE This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association with the Default Programs control panel.

I'm using Firefox to access the internet.

When I opened Default Programs I don't recognize an eLicense file to attempt associating with CMSF.

The "eLicense control panel" is a non-functioning piece of software. I've seen it work on one 32-bit version of Vista, but on nothing else. I believe it was originally intended for Windows 95, 98 and Windows Me. Windows 2000 and newer doesn't seem to consistently function with it. So what you're seeing is completely normal and not an accurate indication that there is something wrong with eLicense.

When I opened Default Programs I don't recognize an eLicense file to attempt associating with CMSF.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. There's no file type for eLicense and nothing to 'associate'.

This is how to disable the Defense+ within Comodo:

Defense+ > Defense+ Settings > checkmark 'Deactivate the Defense+ permanently (Requires a system restart)'.

This has worked with the installations I have tested.

We haven't had problems with the free versions of Superantispyware and Malwarebytes, since they are both passive scanners (you have to manually initiate a scan). We HAVE had problems with Spyware Doctor since it is an active process.

You were absolutely correct, thank you. Comodo has a disable slide switch and a deactivate checkmark. The checkmark with restart allowed CMSF to start instantly.

I'll have to figure out what that portion of Comodo does, I do still have its virus protection and firewall. I'll reinstall SuperAntiSpyware and Malware, one at a time, and hopefully be done with this episode of Computer Incompatibility.

Thanks again Schrullenhaft!!

• 1 month later...

Just reinstalled CMSF on a new 7 OS & wondered about the eLicense control.

This info at Comodo forum solved my failure to launch / CTD with CMSF

Add BFC's Executables to
Image Execution Control Exclusions

as well as
trusted applications

(CIS > Defense+ > Defense+ Settings > Image Execution > Exclusions)

(CIS > Defense+ > Computer Security Policy )

Maybe a bit redundant posting here now but it might help someone...

As regards the non-functional eLicense icon in CP - how does one find out eLicense status without this? Is there an easy way as I forgot & didn't unlicense when I wiped my HDD.

Launch the game. If it comes up with a dialog box to license it, then it is unlicensed. If the game launches normally, it is still licensed. Not the greatest method, but the only one available unfortunately.

I've only seen the eLicense control panel work once in all of the installations I've done. I believe it was originally intended for Windows 98/ME and maybe Windows 2000. Anything newer is not guaranteed to work.

Thanks Schrullenhaft.

I was wondering about my 2 activation limit & how to review / reset it.

I assume my failure to unlicense my old HDD install means that 1 license is effectively used up & thus if anything happens to my install my 'spare' will no longer be there to fall back on.

Kinda paranoid perhaps. :rolleyes::)

Is there an easy way without troubling the support desk?

Unfortunately that one license is "gone". To get back another activation you'll need to submit a ticket to the Helpdesk. There are no customer tools to do this and even the 'eLicense control panel' only tells you the games that are activated on your PC (not much else).

The two activation limit is actually there as a 'backup' rather than an absolute guarantee of using the game on two machines concurrently. So if it is working on one computer already, then there's a possibility that the 'reset' won't be done to allow the other computer to be simultaneously activated. It's a bit of a hazy line on when we will perform the reset when there is one license that is currently working. Sometimes we do it and other times we do not.

CMBN and newer games will use a new form of copy-protection/DRM that we call the 'Online Activation System'. It will NOT have an unlicensing feature. However it does come with four (4) activations available with the ability for the customer to add an additional activation once every 365 days via our Activation page themselves.

Be aware that the new system will use up an activation if you make certain hardware changes to your computer or if you decide to reformat, reinstall Windows, etc. So if you get infected with a virus and you have to reformat the drive, etc. you will use up an activation. As before with eLicense, you can have more than one install within an operating system or reinstall within an operating system that has had the game activated on it before WITHOUT using up an activation. So if you had to reinstall the game or want more than one installation on the hard drive that should not require additional activations.

Thanks for the info. Interesting new protection system - sounds a bit more flexible.

I hadn't been concerned with multiple (2) installations of CMSF as much as with being a dumb@ss again & forgetting or being unable to unlicense & not having my spare activation ready.

Its far more likely that I will only ever have the one install & mess up so I guess I'll just wait till that happens....:P

As regards the new protection, will that allow offline activation? Or as with so many games require a permanent net connection? (I always worry about the phone companies willingness to mess up a net connection! :rolleyes:)

Both eLicense and the new 'Online Activation System' only require an internet connection during the license activation process. It does not require a constant internet connection to play. So once the game's license has been activated you can play off-line all you want. Both systems also offer the ability to activate the licenses in an 'off-line' manner, so the computer that has the game installed on it doesn't actually need an internet connection at all (but you WILL need an internet connection somewhere to submit the license request).

eLicense offers the ability to 'unlicense', which can be useful if you remember to use it (which requires an internet connection on the computer with the game installed on it). The 'Online Activation System' does NOT have this feature, so to compensate for the lack of unlicensing it has the 4 initial activations available to it and the additional activations that can be added one per year.