CM:BN Reference Material Thread - Pt. 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to bide my time until CMBN release day, I popped over to my local library and pulled a volume* off the history shelf. Settled down to read it, looking forward to having something to briefly take my mind off the excruciating wait for what promises to be an epic game. Then my eyes fell on the first sentence of the writer's preface:

"I was inspired to take up this task by Combat Mission:Beyond Overlord...which, at this writing is the best computer war game ever written -- period. The player experiences in near real-time many of the challenges faced by the American tank-infantry team of World War II..."

Aaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhh!!

Oh, what's the use?

My torture is complete.

Mr. Yeide, if you're lurking here: You're one sadistic scoundrel!

*Steel Victory: The Heroic Story of America's Independent Tank Battalions at War in Europe, by Harry Yeide (Presidio Press, 2003).

Great Michael- it's a bit different to read due to the unusual structure granted, but there is a lot of distilled wisdom in there from all the lessons learned by the Germans. Some of it is fairly mundane supply issue stuff to be sure, but at the paperback price it is a steal.

...it's a bit different to read due to the unusual structure...

Actually I like the format. Having the paragraphs numbered makes cross referencing easier, and the authors take full advantage of that. Might be nice if there were some diagrams illustrating the concepts under discussion, but I for one don't have much problem visualizing what they are talking about. In any event, they are discussing general principles that the commanding soldier is expected to improvise on as the situation demands rather than prescribing specific textbook solutions to specific problems, which might or might not arise in the form given.

Michael