Camel

I remember hearing some of their songs on the radio back in the '70s like "Lady Fantasy" and "Snow Goose". I think I had an album with at least one of those on it. Nothing since then, but they were good back then and this cut sounds all right.

Michael

"Snow Goose" is a classic and one of my favorites. "Ice" is probably also right up there in the top 3. Latimer's guitar playing almost tells a story in itself without the need for lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhRgelkyeyo

Don't believe I ever heard them.

Michael

Starcastle was more akin to Yes or Gentle Giant. Camel is much more mellow, and more about melodies. Starcastle deals a lot with varying the rythms, syncopation and the like. Very tight, they are a lot like the early Rush.

I got into Camel many years ago, purely by chance. We were digging through the budget bin, and found an album. It caught my friends eye due to a pic of the band on the back, who were obviously all high as kites. We laughed about it, and another guy looked closer. He stated that "any rock band that uses an oboe and a bassoon can't be all bad", because he played the bassoon. He bought the album, but didn't care for it, being more into heavy metal. I bought it from him that afternoon.

I believe the album was Raindances.