Jump to content

Game locks up


Recommended Posts

The game is great but cont to lock up after a turn or 2. I read on the board a sim problem and he solved it by reducing his agp to 4. does anyone know how to do this or have any other suggestions. I Have a

650 mhz amd ath./128ram/Sb live/directX7.0a.

the game version is 1.02

pls help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reducing your AGP Aperture is done in your BIOS/CMOS setup. Some motherboards/systems don't make this option available (usually name brands may not have this feature).

To get into your BIOS/CMOS setup you will need to reboot your computer. The screen where your memory is counted up is usually where you can hit a key to access your BIOS/CMOS setup. It may be DELETE, F1, F10 (for Compaqs), ESCAPE, etc. It will usually say on your screen. If you just get a splash screen of the manufacturer's logo you'll usually need to press the Escape key to see the screen that may mention the key to press to access BIOS/CMOS setup.

Once in your BIOS/CMOS setup you'll have to look around your menu structure to see where your AGP Aperture size is configured from. For some of the Award BIOSs it may be in "Chipset Features Setup". For others it could be in PNP/PCI-type menus or buried even deeper in the menus for the setup. Again, a number of name-brand systems may not offer the ability to adjust your AGP Aperture.

Typically 64Mb is considered the default. Depending on your BIOS/CMOS setup's range you may find that you can only go down to 16Mb on some systems, others may allow you to reduce all the way to 8 or 4Mb. Reducing it may help in certain situations with certain video cards. Reducing the aperture may reduce your video performance, but it may allow you to run CM with fewer or no lockups. Strictly something you will have to experiment with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy,

I don't know how much help this will be but I used to constantly have lock-ups. What has seemed to work for me is disabling 3D sound on my sound card and turning off the weather. I was also running at 640x480. I've recently been trying 800x600 and it seems to be stable.

I hope this is of some help.

Cardinal Fang

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest JAZZA

I've been having the same type of lockups since i got the demo,tried up to date drivers,followed other posts on lockups and tried the suggested fixes but to no avail.I just received the full game a couple of days ago,installed it and had lockups straight away,so i decided to reinstall windows,direct-x etc,still didn't work!.So then I disabled the sound card so it can't be detected and loaded up CM and played two games without a lock up.Looks like my sound card is the problem.Anyway,hope that helps you someway or another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAZZA:

I've been having the same type of lockups since i got the demo,tried up to date drivers,followed other posts on lockups and tried the suggested fixes but to no avail.I just received the full game a couple of days ago,installed it and had lockups straight away,so i decided to reinstall windows,direct-x etc,still didn't work!.So then I disabled the sound card so it can't be detected and loaded up CM and played two games without a lock up.Looks like my sound card is the problem.Anyway,hope that helps you someway or another.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks, ive played two turns now with no lockup(hurray).Dont want to disable the sound card, Whats the point then. Seems with so many people having problems, they would do better with some support{Hint Hint}

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Big Time Software

Unfortunately PCs, hardware and software, are flakey at best. There are SO many different possible configuarations out there, and compatibility between them is sometimes little more than a hollow promise.

If there is a problem CM is causing, and we can find out what it is, we will fix it. But I really doubt this is something we are doing wrong. You would be shocked at how many "standard" Windows/DX API calls are either impropperly or NOT at all supported.

As for the number of problems... this thread represents a fraction of a percent of CM users wink.gif When we see reports by the the dozen THEN we get concerned that we are screwing up something smile.gif

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Unfortunately PCs, hardware and software, are flakey at best. There are SO many different possible configuarations out there, and compatibility between them is sometimes little more than a hollow promise.

If there is a problem CM is causing, and we can find out what it is, we will fix it. But I really doubt this is something we are doing wrong. You would be shocked at how many "standard" Windows/DX API calls are either impropperly or NOT at all supported.

As for the number of problems... this thread represents a fraction of a percent of CM users wink.gif When we see reports by the the dozen THEN we get concerned that we are screwing up something smile.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I appreciate that, but i have so many games, and this is the only one i have a problem with::hhmmmm::.It would be nice if someone there could help me fiqure it out, instead of just saying that its unfortunate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Srider - What video card are you using ? What version of the SB Live drivers are you using ? If you're not using v. 3 then you may run into some sound problems (though I wouldn't expect lockups to be one of them).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I Just updated the sb sound card.

Have A dimond stealth, Latest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest JAZZA

I have an AMD k6-2 300mhz

Voodoo2 12mb video card

96mb ram

C-media 8330 on board sound card

latest drivers

I thought that the sound card might be the problem but it still locks up with it disabled,so it might be the video card.I'm starting to run out of ideas on how to fix it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAZZA:

I have an AMD k6-2 300mhz

Voodoo2 12mb video card

96mb ram

C-media 8330 on board sound card

latest drivers

I thought that the sound card might be the problem but it still locks up with it disabled,so it might be the video card.I'm starting to run out of ideas on how to fix it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Have an amd k7 650mhz

Stealth III 16 mb

128 ram

And sound blaster live and the latest drivers. Isnt it amazing the support that is provided from this company. all they keep telling me is that computers and programs are flaky at best. They havent tryed to help me with this promblem at all, besides comments that there r so many sytems and confiq out there. I have had NO PROBLEMS WITH ANY OTHER GAME ON MY SYSTEM> I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME LEGITAMTE HELP HERE>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok a question for you, well stabing in the dark but worth a try.

What are your resources running at ?

My computer / Control panel / System / Then the performance tab...

Mine is normal over 90 percent when i 1st boot up with nothing else running. Can u let me know what you are running at

Geoff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubes:

Ok a question for you, well stabing in the dark but worth a try.

What are your resources running at ?

My computer / Control panel / System / Then the performance tab...

Mine is normal over 90 percent when i 1st boot up with nothing else running. Can u let me know what you are running at

Geoff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Cubes, i thought of that,

i shut down just about everything i can when i play and run at 88 to 94 percent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

srider - what motherboard are you using ? I don't know if a BIOS upgrade would help or not. Maybe an update might allow for a smaller AGP Aperture setting (most likely not, though).

Basically the biggest thing I could think that would affect you is the settings for the AGP port in the BIOS/CMOS or the video drivers.

Which Diamond Stealth III do you have ? Assuming it is based on the Savage4 there are some slightly newer drivers on the Reactorcritical download page:

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys having problems have DirectX 7 installed? My system is K6-2, Voodoo 2 12meg video card, only 64 memory, and it runs the game great. I have been afraid to install DX7 just because of the problems I always read about for other games that use DX7. I have no idea if you can "downgrade" to DX6.1 but if you can it might work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aggamemnon:

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys having problems have DirectX 7 installed? My system is K6-2, Voodoo 2 12meg video card, only 64 memory, and it runs the game great. I have been afraid to install DX7 just because of the problems I always read about for other games that use DX7. I have no idea if you can "downgrade" to DX6.1 but if you can it might work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I started with 6 and just upraded to 7.oa, and it when threw a hole game without locking up. i'll try another and let you know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a couple of thoughts....

1) remember that if you install a directx system on your rig, you should always reinstall your sound and video card drivers, as directx may have written over them (or parts of them). Of course, maybe you might want to try without the card drivers...

2) They really do provide good support here. Schrullenhaft has spent many a posts with Cardinal Fang, myself and ASL Veteran trying to figure out our problems.

3) What Motherboard are you using? I have a similar set up to yours, and was having lock-ups too numerous to count. But then I switched out my Via 503+ MB for an ASUS, and the darn thing runs like a dream at 1280x960! I have no idea why that changed things, but it did. I did nothing else, no other variables.

Good luck, I understand your frustration.

Jonathan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freyland:

Just a couple of thoughts....

1) remember that if you install a directx system on your rig, you should always reinstall your sound and video card drivers, as directx may have written over them (or parts of them). Of course, maybe you might want to try without the card drivers...

2) They really do provide good support here. Schrullenhaft has spent many a posts with Cardinal Fang, myself and ASL Veteran trying to figure out our problems.

3) What Motherboard are you using? I have a similar set up to yours, and was having lock-ups too numerous to count. But then I switched out my Via 503+ MB for an ASUS, and the darn thing runs like a dream at 1280x960! I have no idea why that changed things, but it did. I did nothing else, no other variables.

Good luck, I understand your frustration.

Jonathan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have a sd11 atx athalon board; Havent got around to helping me yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Srider - Do you know what revision of the motherboard your SD11 is (you can usually find it on the back of the motherboard near the last ISA slot - it will usually be the same color as the traces and will not be silk-screened on) ?

Looking at FIC's website the only BIOSs I see posted are for the 1.7/1.8 rev of the motherboard and there doesn't really seem to be much about AGP in any of the updates.

Apparently the SD11 has a VIA southbridge chipset, so downloading and installing some of the VIA drivers may be appropriate:

http://www.via.com.tw/drivers/index.htm

The 4-in-1 driver has device drivers for AGP, IDE, IRQ routing, etc. I don't know how much of an improvement the AGP driver may make, but it is worth trying.

The only details in FIC's FAQ for the SD11 that pertained to AGP mentioned that it is only AGP 1.0 complaint and therefore can't work with 32Mb video cards well because of their higher current requirements. However this isn't an issue for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...