Demo Issues

Hey guys,

I've been playing alot of Men of War lately and somehow stumbled upon this title and decided to download the demo and give it a try. I really love the premise of the game and really really want to get into it. Unfortunately the demo had some buggy aspects to it.

Besides various pathfinding issues which arn't really that big of a deal the main gripe I had was the extreme challenge in dealing with infantry in trenches. After bringing infantry up to the trenches they often have issues actually entering the trench and even if they manage to get in they rarely shoot anyone and run this awkward zig-zag through the clear trenches to die a horrible death in melee or just standing there. Tanks are no help at all either which doesn't bother me as much but the infantry movement and AI in the trenches does bother me.

A smaller gripe is dealing with emplacements/infantry that open fire and reveal themselves to only disappear from view later. I appreciate the realism but that causes me to ask should I be using attack ground command in almost all cases. Since rushing to give an attack command but missing the actual target since it faded away seconds earlier causes my vehicles etc to rush out of position as if I commanded them to banzai charge the suspected location of that anti-tank emplacement.

That being said I realize it is a demo and in various reviews most people were impressed by the ai so I decided to come to the community and ask if the full game with patches is much improved over the demo. And if the infantry combat can approach anything like that in Men of War.

Thanks alot, and hopefully I can be convinced to buy this game and take my next step further into simulation war gaming. :D

I believe your issues with attacking trenches may comes from not doing it the "right" way. If you charge with infantry at trenches occupied by an ennemy that has not been suppressed, you'll suffer heavy losses, and very often the attack will fail (all the more if there is no armored vehicles supporting the attackers). If the occupants of the trenches are properly subjected to heavy fire prior and during the attack, they'll have a tendency to keep their heads down, and novice troops may start to panic if they start incurring losses. Once this is happening, your infantry will have a easier time capturing the position. If you've one, or better several tanks accompanying the attackers to the trenches, the defenders will start to panic more easily. Seeing the armor moving toward them will lower their morale. Anyone attempting to shoot at the attackers will expose himself to retaliation from the covering tanks, or machine-guns, artillery and fire teams that you have set up to cover your advancing infantry. Once the losses are mounting amongst the defenders, their morale will drop to the point where capturing the trench becomes easy. If the defending infantry is not suppressed, they'll have the advantage over the attacker once they enter the trench system, as they can lie in ambush, ready to fire. They'll usually spot the incoming ennemy easily as it is moving, while they'll be more difficult to spot as they're usually ambushing without moving.

As to the problem with tanks doing suicidal banzai charges, simply order your tanks not to move and hold ground instead. This way, they'll not advance toward the target you had assigned them once it is no longer spotted. If not told to hold ground, the tank will advance toward the point where you gave the attack order, trying to reaquire the target while moving. If the target is not spotted untill then, the tank will stop right in front of the trench, taking the risk of being destroyed or damaged by AT infantry weapons. I almost alway activate the hold ground button for my tanks and infantry, as I usually don't want them to wander around on their own will.

Once you've spotted a target, it is better to order your tank to attack ground in the vicinity instead of giving an attack order by clicking directly on the target, if your tank is already close to the trench and you don't want it to come closer. If your tank is still far away and you want it to come closer to the trenches, then just give him an assault order up to the point where you want him to stop, and let him advance. The tank will choose targets on it's own, fire at them, and resume the advance while trying to find an other target.