Infantry Movement

A few questions for the guys, not sure if anyone can answer them at this stage...

1. Will there be any type of move command which causes infantry team/squad members to spread out and advance in something like a skirmish line arranged at right angles to the path of advance? I remember that in CM:SF teams would tend to move as a little bunch and all die from the same HE hit, or straggle out in a long line arranged in the direction of advance.

2. Do moving infantry teams still take detours along odd diagonal paths following the grain of action points instead of moving directly from point A to B?

Those infantry movement issues didn't cause serious problems with most CM:SF scenarios that I remember, but might be an issue in the more infantry-centric CM:BN timeframe. Possibly later patches addressed these questions after I kind of stopped playing a few years ago. But of course I am going to resume playing CMx2 again with the release of CM:BN!

This type of thing seems to be based on nationality. The Americans tactical formation was normally a V shaped formation sometimes weighted either to the right or left. Germans used more of a straight linear formation perpendicular to the direction of advance. I wouldn't want to see BF put something in that wasn't needed without good reason.

In addition there should be trade offs so no one formation was "best" but each should have a purpose given a certain set of circumstances. Keep in mind that squads will already assume a linear formation (parallel to) when deployed behind linear terrain/cover (ie.. wall, hedge, fence, trench, foxholes). I don't think the linear formation gives them any additional protection from indirect fires..... Especially on their side of the wall ;)

I'm not really thinking of national distinctions (I believe BFC said that was not something they wanted to get into), just a generic way to order troops to spread out and not approach the enemy as small knots of men, or spread out in a long file pointed in the direction of advance. A skirmish line really, designed to force the enemy picket line to choose between opening up on a not-very-juicy target or letting you into their positions.

From what i'm reading it sounds like breaking off a 'scout' team from every squad, and just sending all the scout teams out ahead would serve the same purpose.