Operation Switchback

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am trying to play the above game with not much success! My tanks are confined to roads as the banks are too soft . They easily get taken out by hidden guns. I seem to have a lot of piats not sure why as the enemy have no tanks. I know it is an old game but can anybody advise how to succeed? Also mines do I just place engineers near the site and wait for them to clear automatically?

Any help would be welcome!:)

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am trying to play the above game with not much success! My tanks are confined to roads as the banks are too soft . They easily get taken out by hidden guns.

Use your infantry to screen your tanks by advancing ahead in a light skirmish line, and hold part of your armor back to provide over watch support, the other part should use mass area fire to blast every possible gun or ambush site.

I seem to have a lot of piats not sure why as the enemy have no tanks.

Assume the worst, for it is bound to show up.

Also mines do I just place engineers near the site and wait for them to clear automatically?

Yes, but it depends. If the mines are daisy chain they will clear them within a turn or two assuming they are placed close enough (usually within 10-15 meters is sufficient) to the mines.

If they mines are the standard AP or AT then the engineers will need a satchel charge to clear the mine, and again be within 20 meters or so to safely clear it.

Two things that have a direct effect on the clearance of mines are unit experience and enemy action. A green engineer will take longer than a regular, who takes longer than a vet, and so on. Also, if the unit is affected by enemy fire it will cease the clearing operation, so keep them in cover if at all possible. A HQ with good command and morale bonuses will help in that regard.