In-Game Gamma Setting...Please!

I'm playing a night battle in CM:A. Yeah, a different game, but still...

Anyway, the night setting is excellent. The stars are there, the moon phase is correct, the Soviets don't have night vision. In fact, the realism is so good, it's almost like I'm there. I mean, I can't see a thing in the game. It is a dark hole. If I press my nose against the monitor, I can see vegetation, hills, my men, etc.

I've got one of those funky new high-endish graphics cards. I'm sure I could tweak the brighness. My display has a menu which includes a brightness adjustment, as well. My concern is that I'd set both up very high, and as soon as I exit the night game of CM:A, the overly boosted card and monitor settings could cause flash burns, blindness, spontaneous house combustion, etc. Heck, the photon pressure alone might blow out my playroom wall.

A lot of other games I've played have a settings menu which includes a gamma adjustment. Now, I'm not a programmer, but it seems all we need is a slider and a label called "gamma" and that should do the trick. ;)

Seriously, night battles are great for mayhem and confusion. With the TO&E on the CM:BN site you know there'll be a lot of airborne units fighting in bocage at night. :) How much better if the player could actually SEE what was going on?

Thanks,

Ken

I'd like to second the motion. I just gotta sweet new LED 24' Samsung monitor from Santa and would love to see more settings/options for the graphics. Not just for gamma but brightness too.

And while we're at it, any new info about the scalability of the graphics options in-game? I noticed with playing CMSF in wide-screen the graphics are blurred or scaled back much closer now. So just to see a trench or something I have to get the camera in very close. This is very annoying.

Well for Ken's point, why not just use the settings in your Graphics card software?

My Nvidia one lets me make setting for applications and it changes these as I launch the application and then changes them back to normal.

As for MeatEtr's point, there's a thread in the now no doubt uncool and prehistoric CM:SF Tech Support forum that is currently talking about resolutions.

As for MeatEtr's point, there's a thread in the now no doubt uncool and prehistoric CM:SF Tech Support forum that is currently talking about resolutions.

Thanks for the heads up Gibby. Gonna do some tinkering with the resolutions when I get back home after the holidays. :)

Well for Ken's point, why not just use the settings in your Graphics card software?

My Nvidia one lets me make setting for applications and it changes these as I launch the application and then changes them back to normal.

Excellent point. Let me tell you why that is not a good option.

If I select CMSF.exe in either my nvidia control panel or the CCC (AMD's equivalent), I can, indeed, brighten up CMSF significantly. That would help for NIGHT missions; what about any other mission? So, if I know before I open the exe (e.g. play the game) that I will play a night battle which is too dark, then I can implement the adjustment at the graphic card level. However, I usually don't know which battle I'll play, or the environmental conditions/time of day, until after I'm already running CMSF.

Step by step, here is what would happen:

1. Double click on CMSF icon, browse through battles, select one.

2. Ooops, it's a night mission. Well, I'll start it and see how dark it is.

3. Crap, it's really dark - cloudy, no moon.

4. Savegame, exit, shutdown CMSF.

5. Open video control panel, find CMSF.exe profile, adjust settings.

6. Restart CMSF, find savegame, check to see if settings are appropriate. If not, return to step 4.

Instead, I'd love a HOTBUTTON. Oooh, that would be sweet. In game, step adjustable, so I could tweak the screen brightness then and there.

So, can it be worked around? Yes.

Gamebreaker as it is? Of course not.

Thanks,

Ken