Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

A Request For The Map Builders

This may be way old but I am playing the original campaign with the original maps so maybe you guys learned not to do this but I thought I would put it out there anyway.

When you have two or three buildings in a row connected (like a row of apartments) the walls between them should be solid (windowless and doorless). In reality, most structures like this (most....not all) you have to go outside to enter the adjacent, yet connected, building.

In the older maps the designers always created the inside walls to these independent apartment/shops/homes as a window wall so if you are in an apartment sharing a wall with another apartment with a red squad in it they detect you instantly and a firefight erupts when MOST of the time you could not be aware of each other as there should be a solid wall between.

Also make use of demo charges much more stratigic and fun!

Thanks for reading.

The designers aren't doing this. CMSF buildings often default windows on all sides even when adjacent to another structure. What the scenario designers aren't doing is going through the incredibly frustrating task of going into the 3D editor and changing every internal wall by hand.

If there were a way to have buildings default to 1 door (on the side with the arrow in the editor) and 3 totally closed walls, I'm sure it would be used in a heartbeat. The default windows are excessive and the second door often not where it should be, so going back in and adding additional doors and windows only where needed would be much preferred.

Yeah, I'll second the "incredibly frustrating" part. You've got to position the camera INSIDE each room and have the cursor on the wall in question. You then click about a dozen times to get to the blank wall. For just that side. On just that level.

A "copy" command to replicate map features would be nice.

Ken

(Making buildings is almost as much fun as targeting them with artillery!)

Yeah, I'll second the "incredibly frustrating" part. You've got to position the camera INSIDE each room and have the cursor on the wall in question. You then click about a dozen times to get to the blank wall. For just that side. On just that level.

A "copy" command to replicate map features would be nice.

Ken

(Making buildings is almost as much fun as targeting them with artillery!)

If you CTRL + click* it will change all floors similtaneously. You then have to go back and individually put the doors where you want them, but it does save a bit of time.

Jon

* or shift + click ... or alt + click ... meh, it's been a while. one of them

Update......kinda....maybe strange bug????

Well I didnt know this could happen but I just saw it. I saw a firefight through a solid wall (solid on BOTH sides) with no windows or doors. I was on the 4th campaign mission map called "Dar Al As Sud". Check out the map at the crossroads where the big apartments make a "L" shape. The road that comes into the map from the west side (about middle map) goes to a 4-way intersection....there. I was in the corner building with 1 squad and in the connected building directly north of me I discovered a Red squad and killed them. My guys were not moving but just saw the Reds. Now that wall is solid from both sides yet my squad spotted and killed the Reds. Bug?

The only thing I can see is that the north building is slightly higher up from the ground than the building I was in. Like you would have to step up into it.

Strange. Anyone check this out and let me know what you think.

Also, regarding the internal wall of buildings. I have spent countless hours going through these buildings to ensure that the internal walls are solid or only have a door and no windows, in scenarios that I have designed. It is a very time consuming process.

Maybe a solution would be to have the default wall in the editor solid. Also the ability to cycle backwards, when choosing walls in the editor would be very helpful. If you cycle through a wall setup that you want, one has to continue clicking until you get back to where you want to be.