Initial startup wait has increased since upgrade...

I recently upgraded my motherboard. I had an ASUS A7V8X with the KT400 chipset and went to a Chaintech Apogee 7NJL1 with an Nvidia NForce2 chipset. My machine's specs are quite good. Won't get into the component details but very powerful. I noticed since I upgraded the motherboard that when I start up CMAK and CMBB it takes longer for the main screen to display and the music to start. The screen goes black and there is a "pregnant pause" if you will. Anyone have any input on this one? Figured it was just the way the new motherboard handled it. With the older ASUS board the screen and sound fired up immediately.

I'm not unhappy with the upgrade and once the game is up it actually runs a bit better but what's with the delay?

Did you reinstall windows? Or at least install the chipset drivers?

Upgrading a motherboard in place is usually a bad idea, as windows has some caniptions with chipset drivers and ends up being slow, unstable or both.

WWB

Originally posted by WWB:

Did you reinstall windows? Or at least install the chipset drivers?

Upgrading a motherboard in place is usually a bad idea, as windows has some caniptions with chipset drivers and ends up being slow, unstable or both.

WWB

Windows XP Pro was a fresh install to a brand new hard drive. I believe that I did instal lthe mainboard drivers but I'll double check that. This particular board has unified on-board sound and video drivers. I purposely did not put them on because I wanted to use better cards that I had. Should I install the unified drivers anyway? Thanks for responding.

Originally posted by WWB:

I would disable onboard sound and video in the bios. They will never even detect at the windows level then.

Biggest thing to make sure is your IDE drivers are installed and the disks running in UDMA mode.

WWB

You were dead on. I did not load the drivers that came with the motherboard and that caused the problem. I had actually shut off the native video and sound in the BIOS but not loading the drivers that were on the CD caused this problem. I went home for lunch and loaded up the drivers on the CD and now both games respond immediately.

Thanks for your help!