Squadie control

MG TOW

Updated control system focusing more on squads and not on individual soldiers. This is a feature listed in the upcoming TOW3-Korea.

Any details on this? More bones please.....

I second that! I feel that the way infantry is modeled is Theatre of War's main issue. One BIG way to change this is to move control from single soldiers to squads. A system similar to Close Combat would be a change for the better. Also, I'd like to see more fluid movement by the troops.

• 2 weeks later...

I have what I feel is the BEST solution for this via a new ATTACH/DETACH command which allows the player to make squads by attaching, and detaching soldiers to leaders. Currently when a leader is double clicked all attached to him are selected. You can also, select and move individuals. This is how the game has it now, but is limited in that you CANNOT DETACH INDIVIDUAL SOLDIERS, OR TRANSFER to another leader. With this new administrative command you can DETACH individual soldiers so they are no longer selected by double clicking the leader to use them as individuals. You can have them attached to no squad, or you can detach them from one leader, and transfer them to another. This command would have a quick subcommand for dividing a squad in evenly in half with the senior leader taking one half, and the Jr. leader taking the other. I can think of no other more flexible system that will allow for moving soldiers as platoons, squads, or as individuals. I will have more on this soon with screen shots.

What I am describing is the MOST flexile system. The alternative is to have it pretty much how CMSF has it where you are limited to splitting squad, or detaching elements. Either way I think it is a step in the right direction.

Here is how I imagine this flexible system working in how a player can select, order, and move units. Some of which is in game already.

Single left click individual unit: Select INDIVIDUAL.

Box drag selects: Selects ALL in box

Double left click leader: Selects leader, and all attached to him; his SQUAD

Double Ctrl key + Alt key + double click leader: Selects FORMATION. I.E. Double clicking on a platoon leader this way will select the HQ platoon section/squad + the entire PLATOON. Double left clicking this way on company commander selects entire COMPANY.

Ctrl key + unit type + double L click: Select all of unit class in screen.

One could also make groups via the number keys as always, and select units that way.

This has more options than even CMSF, and is quicker than CMSF present controls for controlling masses of units. This has always been the challenge of RTS games. Meaning you can have a great game, and concept, but if you can’t control it can get frustrating. I think TOW has been doing a good job taking strides in the right direction to make it different to all the kiddie crap out there. It has some very good command, and control (better than most). These are just suggestions for possible solutions to controlling many forces at once. IMO opinion RTS is ALL about efficient, smart command and control, and quick situational awareness over many forces.