Questions before I buy -

I've been watching this series for a while as it developed but I have a few more questions before I whip out my CC...

- is it possible to remove the blue and red icons that hover over the troops (either in-game or by mod)?

- is multiplayer for 2 or is it possible to have 3 or 4? Either way can you co-op?

- what are the best fan-sites to check out mods?

- how advanced are the earlier Combat Missions compared with Shock force?

Much thanks for any answers...

1) yes, alt+I i believe

2) only 2 player real time, no coop

3) ?, the battefront.com repository seems to have most of the mods

4) they're different beasts, you have to try the demos to see for yourself

main advantage of CMSF: no borg spotting, more detailed hit models, better modelling of command chain

main advantage of CMx1: more feedback (unit stats, kill stats), more straightforward to judge the effects of terrain, weapons etc... (because some things are less detailed and more averaged out)

hope this helps

Re mods and scenarios, also recommended is GreenAsJade's site that can be accessed through the Band Of Brothers CM fan site. (See "links" on this BFC site.)

CM1 also has a much greater depth and spread of gameplay in that it covers 5 years of WW2 over a myriad of terrain and weather and offers a very impressive array of units (from many countries) that changed quite radically over those years.

CM1 games tend to be more balanced as there is no bias towards one side of the other (as has been noted in CMSF).

CM1 is more of a fun game. CM2 is more of a simulation.

1)

3) ?, the battefront.com repository seems to have most of the mods

GreenAsJade's for variety (though yes, the repository on this site is bigger)

they're different beasts,

But what about the eye candy? CMSF is much prettier, it has one to one representation of troops, and every bullet is tracked. Much more abstraction in CMBO, CMBB and CMAK.

Also, in CMSF you can play Red on Red, whereas in CMX1 its only allies vs axis

And some more stuff besides the obviously different (time periods etc).