CMSF Won't Run

Hi all

I don't play CMSF very often, just every now and then, the last time I played being December 09. The game worked fine and I was doing the campaign.

A couple of months ago I want to play it again so I stick the CD in, click play but nothing happens. The game just doesn't run so I put it on the shelf.

I've come back to it today but this time instead of doing nothing a message pops up saying I need to insert the disc. :confused:

The drive is fine as it has no problems with other games.

PC:

Win 7 64

6GB RAM

4870 512MB

Core i7

Any help to solve the problem will be much appreciated. Especially as I would like to buy the modules. :)

Make sure that the CD is clean and has no smudges or spots on it.

The next thing to check may be the software that is loaded on your computer. I'm not sure what disc-based copy-protection software that Paradox uses, but it may be SafeDisc. This copy-protection software could potentially interfere with disc-emulation software or other security utilities. Hopefully Paradox has an answer for you or can direct you to SafeDisc's support (if that is that actual copy-protection mechanism).

It says here though that Paradox has dropped support.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1530&Itemid=80

Perhaps that has something to do with? It would explain why I was able to play in Dec 09 but not now.

Their forums for CMSF appear to be dead too but it sure won't hurt to make a post there.

Does anybody else know the copy protection for retail Paradox published CMSF?

I did some searching on Safe Disc but there is very little information. They don't appear to have a website. It was made by Macrovision, which is now rovi, but a search on their site turned up an irrelevant page in Japanese. Sounds like they ceased support for it.

I believe that Paradox Interactive's dropping support for CMSF most likely means that they will no longer release patches for their distribution of the game. That's why the 1.20 patch is the last version a Paradox distribution can be upgraded to. To get the 1.21 patch you need to purchase the v.1.21 Retail Upgrade (Paradox) from Battlefront (just US$1.00) - this is pretty much talked about in your above link. This patch changes your copy to a Battlefront/eLicense version and provides all of the 1.21 fixes. This also gets rid of the disc-based copy protection of the Paradox version, but you do have to deal with eLicense, which really isn't that bad in most situations.

Anyway... I believe that Paradox may still attempt to support CMSF if you contact them via the Paradox Support webform. However I don't know how long it will take to get a response or if they will have much knowledge on the product.

As you mentioned getting support on the SafeDisc (IF that is what Paradox used) is pretty hard now. The current copy-right holder seems to have a new product out that superceded SafeDisc.

Thank you both for your help. I have contacted Paradox so I hope I hear from them. :)

If I don't get a reply I'll purchase the modules so they can convert my CMSF and I can play them. I just hope the issue with CMSF won't affect the module install when/if I come around to it.

Upgrading to the 'v.1.21 Retail Patch' or any of the modules will convert you to an eLicense version of the executable. If you intend to get the modules, then you won't need the 'Retail Patch'. As long as you have a good install of CMSF (despite the copy-protection issues with the disc), then you should be OK when you upgrade to either the 'Retail Patch' or any of the modules.