Multiplayer crashes

Hi,

My friend and me we both have ToW 1 with the uberpatch installed, so we both have the 1.10.0.81. version.

I bought on CD, the Kalypso English version a while back then patched recently. My friend downloaded from Steam his verison already patched up to 1.10.0.81.

Single player for both runs fine. But when we tried multiplayer it did not seem to work:

- Game created fine, my partner joins me fine. When the game is loaded after a few seconds whomever has joined the game crashes to desktop. We tried first me hosting and then him hosting. In both cases whomever joined crashed after a few seconds following loading of scenario.

- We both used hamachi IP network to connect. First we tried direct TCP IP (virtual IP), and then we tried Network connection. Both types of connections worked fine with hamachi, but in both cases we had the same crash after loading of scenario.

- The scenario chosen was Steel rage

- We also tried connecting to the server (Internet option) and I could create a game fine. My friend saw the game but when he tried to join the system timed out and could not connect. The same happened to me when he created a game in the server.

Man, I think we have tried everything... any ideas?

PS: forgot to mention after the uberpatch install I started to get a "missing CD" error that I solved by downloading the ToW_1.exe from here: ftp://ftp.1cpublishing.eu/Theatre_of_War/ToW.exe I can play single player fine, but for multiplayer would this be the reason of the crashes? I have W7 64bit

Looks like resources in one of the game installations are completely messed up (game tries to load resources that do not exist because the specified path to them is wrong). To play MP, two games must have exact resources. Did you or your friend have any mod installed? If yes, both of you must have exact version of it installed properly.

Looks like resources in one of the game installations are completely messed up (game tries to load resources that do not exist because the specified path to them is wrong). To play MP, two games must have exact resources. Did you or your friend have any mod installed? If yes, both of you must have exact version of it installed properly.

But both of us in SP have no problem. If resources were messed up would we be able to play SP separately?

Only things I can think of on my end is that after the Kalypso uberpatch I downloaded that ToW_1.exe and that I ve tried to download an aditional MP scenario from the repository that may have messed up my MP scenario folders? Could that be the explanation? (by the way my partner and me tried always to play one of the standard MP scenarios, not the repository one)

Also, I have the uberpatch for the Kalypso version, while my partner got his already built in his Steam copy. Would that make a difference?

Is tehre any way in the log to tell who´s ressources are messed up? i.e. my partner's or mine?

If I re-run the uberpatch, would that re-set and clean my MP scenario folders?

I don't know what this MP mod changed... do you or your friend have 'data' folder in the game folder? If yes, there is a mod installed that changes a lot (for example, adds new units). Or it can be so that this MP scenario simply has units you both don't have (for example, units from JSH mod).

I think these two versions actually differ (your Kalypso patched one and the Steam one). There is a special file called filesid.ini packed in data.sfs where all resources are listed; if this file differs between MP server and client, such kind of errors will occur. For example, a server tells client to load a resource #534, say, wooden fence, and client loads resource #534 (only resource number is being transferred), but in his game version its a German machinegunner, so game goes crazy :)

You can try this: ask your friend for his data.sfs file, backup yours and place his file in your game folder (i assume you has an English Kalypso version installed). He should also be a server to avoid possible problems with MP mod installed on your machine. If he has a clean Steam version, this should help.

Quick update for your info: We have managed to play our first MP game. Not sure what exactly did it, but here it goes:

I deleted the lone repository mod scenario from my MP folder and then I re-installed the uberpatch. After that I installed the JSH v1.3.1 mod.

My "steam version" partner also installed the mod, and voila. 1st MP game played.

Thanks, for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Waaaaaa im astonished some people are still playing omg this is great i have all 3 games and centauro mod join my steam group and add me as a steamfriend so we can play maybe this week end

see you later ;D

here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Theatre_of_war

my actual name in steam is De Haugéranville im the admin of this ( small) group

See you in battle ( i hope so )