All,

I have a big issue. Just got home from Iraq and was looking foward to playing a little CM:SF and expansions but a little problem just came foward.

I had an old old laptop that I once played SF on. It is now gone. I didnt know the unlicense procedures so I have no way of playing SF on my desktop computer.

Is there any way around this? Can I get my license reset or something?

Thanks. Would like to keep playing this game.

Ok - It turns out that its just my MARINES bundle for some reason. Totally odd.

'Submit a Ticket' at the Helpdesk and provide your license key that you need 'reset' and we should be able to perform that for you.

A license key can be licensed and unlicensed countless times, but only two installations can have the license key 'active' at the same time. Uninstalling a game DOES NOT UNLICENSE it. These are separate actions, though some of the uninstallers will prompt to unlicense the game, while many others will not. You need to UNLICENSE the game BEFORE performing any of the following:

1) Reformatting the hard drive ('clean' OS reinstalls, etc.).

2) Reinstalling or Upgrading the OS.

3) Any major hardware changes, primarily any of the following: a new motherboard, a new CPU, a new video card (new non-boot hard drives should not be an issue).

4) Disposing/selling the computer or boot hard drive.

5) Uninstalling the game permanently from a computer.

• 3 weeks later...

'You need to UNLICENSE the game BEFORE performing any of the following'

Tbh this pisses me off at times. I had to request a ticket from another company because i reformatted by pc but i didnt realise i had to check all my games and unlicence before I did! I did get it working easily, but it is god aweful annoying.

Just venting, love BF games :D

And currently despite paying for all, I havent gotten around to seeking a reset of my licence for the following:

Combat mission normandy

Combat mission afrika korps

Strategic command 1

Strategic command 2

and probably a couple more. Its just a unecessary pain and I have to beg the company for another chance at some point despite paying my bucks for the games!

Oh and i just bought CMM and CMBF bundle which the licence cannot connect to the server or something. Im waiting to see if it resolves itself or there is a delay on purchase (which i seem to recall) before i submit a ticket ;)

Ah the old Licence problem.

I now have a licence problem. I just bought a new pc and in anticipation I un-licenced my CMSF.

Ive got all the licence keys for Marines and Brits. It takes the Brit licence OK, but refuses to admit I unlicenced the Marines Module. So now I have a working CMSF, a working Brit Module and blacked out Marine content.

Why does it recognise Ive unlicensed Brits but not Marines?

Do I submit a ticket? I have the Marines licence key?

You need to unlicense each module separately (since each has a unique key). You do not need to unlicense the base game, though (since it is unlicensed/relicensed whenever your unlicense/relicense a module automatically).

CMSF Modules Knowledgebase at the www.battlefornt.com/helpdesk:

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=view&parentcategoryid=32&nav=0%2C10%2C4

First, thanks for the quick reply to my ticket submission.

This whole elicence thing seems to become a pain in the arse when you want to switch the games around, think you've unlicensed the game and reformat your previous PC. I'm grateful that not many companies use this system as between my family I think I had about 30 games on one of my PCs and doing this that many times, well tedious is not the word I'd use.

The situation seems to be, unlicensed CMSF and it also unlicences the Brit module. But not Marines. Why would you need to unlicensed separate modules that can't be played without the base game after they have been installed?

I think you need to simply do what companies like Matrix do, I had no trouble installing their games on my new PC as all I needed was the original codes.

However, I do appreciate the very quick response.

Thanks.

Why would you need to unlicensed separate modules that can't be played without the base game after they have been installed?

Because you are unlicensing "keys" (or, to use another word, licenses), not games, and modules are purchased separately, and therefore are a separate license (and hence use a separate key).

The situation seems to be, unlicensed CMSF and it also unlicences the Brit module. But not Marines.

As mentioned before, and as the Knowledgebase explains: once you have a module, you do not need to do anything with your base game (key) - ever again. Licensing a module, licenses the base game. Unlicensing a module, unlicenses a base game. Simply don't unlicense the base game, and you won't run into any confusion.

Starting with v1.21 patch, there are links to unlicense every module in your Start->Programs menu group. Simply click on each module you have, and unlicense them one by one, that's all that you need to do.

I'm grateful that not many companies use this system as between my family I think I had about 30 games on one of my PCs and doing this that many times, well tedious is not the word I'd use.

Unlicensing takes literally one second (and one click). So if you have 30 games that you need to unlicense, you will spend 30 seconds on it. I wouldn't use the word tedious, either.

The 30 seconds you spend unlicensing your 30 games during the 1 time every year or two (or more) that you change computers is a tiny price to pay (if you ask me) for the total transparency no-backdoor no-intrusion services that eLicense provides, unlike most other DRMs.