Need help with game performance

Running Vista on a AMD 9500 quad-core with a ATI 5870 graphics card. Can play all other latest games fine on high settings but this one is barely playable on the absolute lowest settings. I would love to support realistic games like this but the whole TOW series has seemed to have this problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Are you having performance problems with a particular campaign or are you having this problem with 'Mission Generator' generated battles ? There are some performance issues with the campaigns, but you may not see them with the 'generated' battles of the 'Mission Generator' (due to the limit on the number of units, most likely).

The TOW series has a bit more going on under the hood than many other games and the issues that most people may be running into are related to the CPU's ability to handle the number and complexity of the calculations for Line of Sight, Line of Fire, Penetration and Spotting.

I'm not sure how many cores the TOW 2 series can utilize. Most likely it would be two or a single core, but not all 4 cores of your CPU. The Phenom 9500 runs at 2.3GHz, so overclocking it may help a little, but even then it will not overcome some of the performance problems noted in the campaigns.

I encountered the slowdown in the first mission of the Operation Citadel campaign. My guess is you are right and with less units it will be playable. I'll try the mission generator and see if I can at least play that a bit. Thanks for the idea :).