Ati/Nvidia anti-aliasing drivers

The last video card that gave me working anti aliasing in combat mission series was my 9700 using the ati hotfix drivers for call of duty on winme. I now have a x800 as well as have tried a nv6800 on a xp machine and can't find any drivers that work on these cards. With both cards you can set the aa on the control panel but there is no aa in the game- everything has a shimmery grainy quality.The new cards will not accept the older drivers. When i look at many photos posted of the game by others it looks like anti aliasing is not working on their cards as well. Is there any modern drivers for any of newer ati/nvidia cards that someone can recommend?

Hmmmmm.

Speaking of it, when I fired up CMAK for an evening a week ago, I noticed that the shimmering was very annoying. So either I suffer from selective memory and it was always that bad, or it got worse.

I am not in a position to run tests right now, though, too busy for the next weeks.

%%

What you need to do is a direct 1:1 comparision:

Turn everything off, start CM, take screenshot (or photo of screens to rule out post-VRAM filtering) and do one move.

Then exit CM, change preferences to have one thing (only one, e.g. AA but not AF), start CM, compare.

Ideally, post pictures here.

%%

Also note that different cards have different ability to actually do anisotropic filtering right. Sad to say, both NVida and ATI optimized away some quality in some series of cards and some driver versions.

They both might of overoptimized because i dont think that either cards actually enable anti aliasing at all. I can set aa on both modern cards but i can tell that it is not actually implementing in the game because even at highest aa level with all other features on high the 3d world and units look like the 9700 with aa off.

I will try to post some pictures later this week since my old computer is not at my house now.

Are you sure aa is working on your system?

Ps what kind of card are you using.

AA works fine on all my other games. I understand what you are saying about the AF handling the shimmering. My point is that with the driver that enables AA I dont have this problem at all. This applies to all 3 combat mission games. When you enable the AA on your card do you notice any visible improvement in combat mission?

I might be able to help with the shimmering issue. I stumbled on this purely by accident.

There's a utility out for nVidia cards called nHancer(Advanced Profile Editor for nVidia cards) it can be downloaded

at nhancer.com. There are enhanced settings for AA and AF that I set in the utility that eliminated the shimmering for me.

I'm waiting on a video card replacement, so I can't access my settings or driver version. My video card is a 6800 ultra.

Hope this helps.

merge.jpg

I went back to my old computer and changed the settings on the video card. I was wrong about aa being the culprit. Anisotropic filtering what is causing the shimmering problem like Redwolf said. I have posted 2 photos to show what i mean by shimmering without af enabled. In the photos it is most obvious on the hedgerows and the banding on the roof of the rightmost house. In game it looks much worse than a snapshot for some reason. My current cards driver does not play well with af as well i guess.

Redwolf, My computer's back up and running now. My drivers are 91.45 and I found this XML file in the windows system32 folder;

</PROFILE>

- <PROFILE Label="Combat Mission">

<APPLICATION Label="Barbarossa to Berlin.exe" />

<APPLICATION Label="Combat Mission.exe" />

<APPLICATION Label="CM Afrika Korps.exe" />

<PROPERTY Label="aa_default" Value="1000000c" />

<PROPERTY Label="transparency_aa" Value="40000000" />

<PROPERTY Label="af_default" Value="10000010" />

<PROPERTY Label="vsync_default" Value="8416747" />

<PROPERTY Label="image_settings" Value="fffffff6" />

<PROPERTY Label="trilinear_optimization" Value="1" />

<PROPERTY Label="aniso_optimization" Value="0" />

<PROPERTY Label="aniso_sample_optimization" Value="0" />

<PROPERTY Label="d3d_negative_lod_bias_status" Value="1" />

If you need more info let me know. I'm getting little to no shimmer.

I downloaded nhancer and will give it a try on a nvidia card. AF does not work at all with my ati card in combat mission. In the catalyst control panel it visibly improves the lines on the road in the 3d display window however. I will run some other games and see if i can notice AF enabled in them.