Won't start (again)

Hi

Got Combat Mission Shock Force, Marines and Brit Modules.

Haven't used in some time, but it's been installed on my current system for a while and was definitely working at some point in the last 6 months or so.

I did post in these forums about not getting it to run within that time period (when I first switched to Windows 7) and got it running - something to do with runservice.exe not being in the DEP list.

Anyway, I've just went to fire it up yesterday, and it wasn't loading. I got a little timer for a few seconds, it appeared in my list of processes and then unloaded itself.

I have installed a new graphics card the other week - so wonder if that's rendered the licence invalid (by the way whilst we're here - that is THE legitimate concern for alot of people regarding eLicence - trying to remember to unlicence!)?

Anyway - point of the post is, I managed to use the shortcut to unlicence the Brit module, but I cannot unlicence the marines or the core game - I get an error (atached pic). That's the same error I get when trying to unlicence the Marine or the core game module (even though I was able to unlicence the Brit module). It's also the same error I get when I try to play the game. I presume it's to do with the licencing and it being prevented from operating correctly.

I've tried switching off my Firewall (ZONEALARM) and Antivirus (AVAST) - but no joy

System is

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz

4GB DDR2

Gigabyte nVidia GTX460 graphics card

My question is, do I have to uninstall and reinstall - and if I do, because I have been unable to unlicence it, will I lose the licence? If so, what can I do to retrieve that licence?

Thx

Billy

post-18387-14186762181_thumb.jpg

Major hardware changes may require you to relicense. To go sure it is usually best to unlicense the game first before making major hardware changes. But if that was the case here then you would simply see the License window again and get an error (or none) trying to relicense. So this isn't the likely cause here.

Uninstalling and reinstalling on the same PC will not change your license state. You can uninstall and reinstall on the same PC, and if the game was licensed on that PC and not unlicensed, your license will be "remembered" after you reinstall the game. You won't have to relicense.

The 0xc000005 error is typical for DEP. It is also typical for DEP that it causes no problems for some time, and then starts causing them again. What is worse is that some anti-virus and security programs do the same thing as DEP is supposed to do, without telling you, so even if you corret your DEP settings, you may run into the block.

Check if your DEP settings are still correct. Even if they are, reset them and submit them again, then reboot. You should also make sure that you firewall and antivirus do not have any residual elements still active after shutting them off for the install/initial launch. For example, we've seen various toolbars that remain active even though you shut off the program.

Lastly, if you need further support, please submit a support ticket at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk, if you haven't done so already.

Thx Moon. I'll check again tonight.

One thing I forgot to add...initially I tried to play and I got the timer cursor, saw the game loading in the Processes and then it got to about 9MB then quit...so it never got to the game at all. I then uninstalled the Brit Module and I *think* that's when the error started to show.However, it was about the same time as uninstalling the Brit Module that I removed the program entries in DEP, rebooted the machine and then added them (with runservice)...

Anyway, I'll give it another look tonight.

Do you think an uninstall might correct the issue? I just don't want to uninstall unless I absolutely have to - as this will be the third time I've started a campaign, got part way through, went off playing something else, revisited it and had to reinstall for whatever reason (new processor, new hard drive blah, blah, blah).

Anyway, thx for your time. I'll try everything to get it running before I submit a ticket as I'm sure I've been here before and got it working

The important thing is licensing and unlicensing, rather than installing and uninstalling. Before making hardware changes it is best to unlicense the games since they may not recognize the computer they were originally licensed to after the changes. This could result in a 'lost' activation. But as Martin mentioned, this should result in the license dialog box coming up since the game doesn't recognize itself as being licensed.

Another thing to watch out for is ZoneAlarm. It has a feature called 'Forcefield' or 'ZoneAlarm Browser Security Bar' which interferes with eLicense and must be uninstalled or disabled (just this feature, not all of ZoneAlarm) depending on which ZoneAlarm product you have.

From the sound of it you will definitely want the DEP entries present. What these do is provide definitive EXCEPTIONS to DEP, which will function in the way that you're seeing (shutting down the application and preventing it from running).