Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMSF British Forces request: dismounted/dismountable M2HB

As it stands British forces are the only blue units without access to dismounted .50 cal MGs. (Marines have them in dismounted form and the US Army IBCTs can dismount them from assault platoon humvees.) While British Light Battalion support section WMIKs and Jackals have mounted .50 cals, when you dismount them, you get a GPMG.

This limits designers of scenarios featuring British forces, particularly those designing historical scenarios. I'd like to see some way to access a dismounted M2HB without having to cobble US Army or Marine units into the British oob.

While i'd like to see dismounted 0.50 cals in the game, i don't think getting them from the (M)WMIKs is the most accurate way of doing it.

from what i've read usually they do just grab the commanders GPMG when they dismount (especially when in a hurry or under fire), therefore i don't think they should really take the GMG with them easier.

for the (M)WMIKs however it would be nice to see 2 seperate orders for getting the crew out. The bail out command for when you've just come up against a MG you totally didn't expect and you just want to make your troops smaller targets, and a dismount command for when you simply want to use the (M)WMIKs as a weapons system transporter.

However seeing as CMSF is pretty much fully patched up now i doubt we'll see it.

We still have NATO coming, and I see no reason why something so minor could not be included. I agree on dismounting from the WMIK/M-WMIKs. Perhaps a HMG Troop could be added like the independent US Marine HMG platoon.

I very much like the idea of having both the bailout and dismount command available for crews with dismountable weapons systems.

Easy, minor fix?

As it stands it's a bit of a fudge, because it wasn't an easy, minor fix in the first place. The crew don't actually dismount with the weapon, they have it ordinarily, so chopping and changing is not as simple as the obvious mental model might imply.

Basically, without a significant code re-write, you've got a choice. You have GMG, GPMG and HMG. Pick 2.

Is it really such a big item to miss? It highlights the difference between British and US BLUFOR. The only historical scenarios where it would be appropriate would be defence of a FOB

If you're designing a scenario with Brits defending a prepared position, you can flick the settings over to Red v Red for a moment and grab a couple of Red HMG bunkers. The 12.7 DShK ("Dashika" to the Afghan muj) HMG makes a pretty good M2HB stand-in, and comes with a whole pile of ammo. Also, you get the better protection of the bunkers and a 160deg field of fire. Sit them atop a +4 elevation sand heap if you want better visibility. Can't help you with the razor wire, alas...

M1A1 did a HESCO mod for the rural low stone wall, but it doesn't stop infantry from crossing. The Marsh terrain tile greatly slows infantry movement (and is impassable to vehicles), so makes a decent tactical proxy for wire, but I think it only works in Wet/Damp conditions or sumfink.