Why...........

mikewhol

I purchased this game when it first came out (to Support Battlefront). Never really played it until now (waiting on CM:N). Just to give you a little history, I am a noob at ToW.

In the third mission of the Allies campaign, I worked a Sherman to within 250m of a PaK40, that was busy shooting at my "Poor Bloody Infantry" (and chewing them up fairly well I might add), so my Sherman should have gotten a round off while the PaK crew rotated to face the Sherman. Nope, Sherman just sat there, in plain sight, AND DID NOTHING! The PaK40 very happily engaged the Sherman, FIRE, first shot missed. OK, now I am thinking the Sherman will fire (it had 13 seconds to engage from stop order to first PaK shot), IT DID NOTHING! PaK, FIRES, second shot misses again, whew! At this point I am yelling at the crew of the Sherman, "fire, you fools, fire"! IT JUST SITS THERE! PaK, FIRES, third shot hits the gun mantle and takes out the main gun! Now the crew will not respond to any order given (not that they seemed to respond to anything I ordered them to do), the idiots wont even bail out of the stricken tank!

What in the heck is going on "under the hood" to make this kind of thing a fairly COMMON experience in ToW??????

The accuracy of the PaK guns is awesome! I was very shocked that it missed the second shot! That dose not happen too often (they were under fire from one Inf squad and another half squad at the time all this took place, with no visible effect). 14 men firing from 200m, and they couldn't even suppress the damn thing! Gheesh! Something seems a little bit off here!

BTW I have all the updates, and JHS 1.3.5.

Mike

Sounds like they were panicking, since they didn't even bail out (or maybe they were already dead). It's difficult to say what went wrong, maybe the gunner couldn't target the gun because of some obstruction or Sherman was told to hold fire earlier.

Thanks for the reply Sneaksie. Panic sounds like what happened here.

They crew was fine, and I've never given my armor hold fire orders, I think they paniced right after the first sighting of the gun!

I am getting frustrated with my armor vs ATG , I guess I need more practice with ToW.

Mike

I just tried it again. The UBER PaK40 kills everything in sight. This time, 3 M4's and 3 squads. All killed. Shermans got off one round at it. One round out of three tanks! I think I am lacking a fundamental understanding of how the game works. I watched that gun fire 20 plus rounds.

I watched a M-10 fire an AP round at a running man (right around 100m) and hit him. I am sorry, but that is just plain silly!

Mike

• 2 months later...
I just tried it again. The UBER PaK40 kills everything in sight. This time, 3 M4's and 3 squads. All killed. Shermans got off one round at it. One round out of three tanks! I think I am lacking a fundamental understanding of how the game works. I watched that gun fire 20 plus rounds.

I watched a M-10 fire an AP round at a running man (right around 100m) and hit him. I am sorry, but that is just plain silly!

Mike

No "on board" mortars in ToW 1?

Reading these posts a bit late but... Yeah I have also succumbed to playing ToW 1 ( I have not decided about buying Kursk just yet) while I wait for CMx2:N !!! I actually find it a reasonably satisfying experience alhough I also find some silly things...

Enemy armour for example seems to behave a bit a la Command and Conquer.... just swarming my infantry positions (unsupported by their own infantry), with no regards to hidden infantry in woods or trenches nearby. Now the AI was lucky my infantry did not have any anti armor weapons worth of that name (or maybe the AI knew it?) but still it seems a bit C&C'ish to me. I am also new to the game so I am sure some nuances of infantry vs armour combat at close range still eludes me in ToW. I guess I am maybe too used to the much more carefull and static use of armour in CMx1?

Enemy infantry for the most part seems to specifically ignore concealed or protected advance and preferes the wide open fields in plain sight of my MG's etc.

Nevertheless many other aspects of the game seem quite fair: balistics, penetration angles, armour positioning with hull downs etc seem to be more or less ok. Other than that I am trying the Polish campaign on "Realist" difficulty level and it is proving quite tough and challenging!

I am yet to see an AP round hitting squarely at an enemy troop but that would just be all worth it in itself! :D

The best way to destroy anti-tank guns is to stay behind the cover of some bushes. The ennemy gunners will have more trouble noticing you, and even if you don't have clear line of sight, you'll be able to aim a few HE shots in the vicinity of the gun to kill the crews (aiming at area rather than directly targeting the guns)

I'm surprised than the PaK gunners are not quickly starting panicking under suppressive fire. I remember several instances where targeting the area near the gun with MG fire , or having a sniper shooting at the crew, was enough to make the crew abandon the gun and run away

I'm pretty sure it happened in one of the battles of the american campaign in ToW1. I had a sniper who infiltrated the ennemy defensive line with a few survivors of an infantry squad. If I remember well, the sniper started to fire at the gun crew, killing first the leader, then the other crew members abandonned the gun and started to head away from the spot, as if panicking. There is a possibility though that they where amongst the last ennemy survivors, as I remember it was at the end of the game and I was mopping up the area (perhaps it was related to a script having the ennemy withdraw when the battle was lost, rather than the effect of suppressing fire making the crew panic).