The Manchester Dilemma

I am currently in a multiplayer game and just about to take Manchester. It looks however as if it would be useless to do this. He would simply transfer his capital to Australia and receive many more resources from the cities there. Also, I assume that all UK colonies would start transferring resources to Australia if I take Manchester.

So my question is, would it not be better to just take the harbors in England, thereby permanently cutting off all convoy routes and leave Manchester in the hands of the UK player?

Is this indeed better or am I missing something? What exactly happens when you take England?

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The capital can transfer to Australia or Canada but at a loss of all current production items in the queue as well as reduced resources from the loss of the UK. The US Lend-Lease convoy is also lost and the strategic importance of having the UK isle as a staging point for D-Day is also lost to the Allies.

Beyond that the UK can gain some advantage by having its capital shifted to lets say Australia if it prefers to focus on the Pacific Theater from that point on but it does come at a loss to the European Theater etc.

Hope this helps,

Hubert