Random placement of IEDs??

Has anyone found a good way / creative way to have IED threats while playing SP? Creating your own scenario's / making them....and then playing them.

I've found various ways to keep the FOW high in terms of SP sceanrio's I've created .....but I've yet to implement the IED factor.... Just curious to what others are doing...

VBIEDs work fine, and can create a real challenge if you're creative with the movement orders.... they do tend to get shot to bits on their final run inbound but it's still tense.

I've had huge headaches with regular IEDs though. The AI triggermen never seem to arm the damn things. Or worse, they abruptly decide to become riflemen instead and get killed before they can use their real weapon.

I've had huge headaches with regular IEDs though. The AI triggermen never seem to arm the damn things. Or worse, they abruptly decide to become riflemen instead and get killed before they can use their real weapon.

Only a handful of times in 2.5 years of playing CMSF have my pixeltruppen suffered any harm from IEDs. Typically, during the after-action map review I spot one or a few unexploded IEDs and a dead triggerman or two.

Would assigning AI triggermen the orders of [Ambush 75m]+[Hide] (i.e., the most "lay low and keep hidden" sort of order set) keep them from opening fire? Perhaps designers that include IEDs in their scenarios forget to assign triggermen to a group which will ensure they don't give away their position before they have a chance to do what they're there for.

On the other hand: Are real-world IED triggermen armed usually? I was given to understand that a triggerman would eschew anything that would visually identify him as anyone other than a run-o'-the-mill local.

Would assigning AI triggermen the orders of [Ambush 75m]+[Hide] (i.e., the most "lay low and keep hidden" sort of order set) keep them from opening fire?

Theoretically, yes. However, if they are of very low experience level (Green or Conscript) they will tend to ignore that Ambush order and open fire anyway. Also, when they are hiding, they don't spot nearly so well so there's a much greater likelihood that your pixeltruppen will be able to pass over the IEDs unmolested.

The best solution to this would be to make them spies rather than uncon soldiers, thus disarming 'im. And now, we eat the banana...