Can't log on to Forum

This is not a specific question on the games, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

My home PC which is running XP and Internet Explorer ver 6. I downloaded a free version of SpyBot, and ran it to see what it would find in my system. There were various things, which the program identified, which I then deleted. Now I don't know if this is related or not, but when I went on to the BFC Forum, I noticed I was no longer logged in. I attempted to log in, and it processed the log in and said "thanks for logging in", but I was not logged in. I had saved my internet security set ups, and they were the same. I deleted the SpyBot program and restored all the items it had deleted, still no luck. I can log in from work, so I know its nothing to do with my profile.

Anyone have any ideas?

The 'autologon' with the forum is by cookie. So deleting the cookie would force you to manually logon. I don't know if the program automatically changes the setting for blocking cookies. A setting in IE allows you to completely block cookies, though most sites/software may come back with an error of one sort or another if they can't write a cookie. You can change cookie handling by going to (from withing IE) Tools > Internet Options (which brings up that control panel) > Privacy tab > Advanced... button > here are the cookie handling controls. The simplest thing to do would be to UNcheck the 'Override automatic cookie handling' (if it is set). This should return you to normal cookie management.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

The simplest thing to do would be to UNcheck the 'Override automatic cookie handling' (if it is set). This should return you to normal cookie management.

On my version of IE (for Mac) there is a third option which I have selected: it asks me whether I want each cookie. I allow all three that BFC offers, but with most other websites I only allow cookies whose duration is for that session only.

Also, every few months I go through my inventory of cookies and throw out any that look like they shouldn't be there any longer.

If I permitted automatic acceptance of every cookie offered, I would have hundreds of them on my hard drive by now (some of them have lives of up to 20-30 years) doing god knows what.

Michael

Originally posted by Nidan1:

Thank you, I will try that. Although I have been searching for cookie options for Explorer, I wasnt able to find any settings that mentioned cookies. I'll keep searching.

Nidan, things are probably different for Windows, but on the Mac you find cookies by entering the Edit menu and going to Preferences. There, under Receiving Files, you will find Cookies. You might just poke around in your Edit menu to see what turns up.

smile.gif

Michael

Just for FWIW, I also use Spybot regularly (and recommend it - wait till the 'Xjupiter toolbar' takes over your IE someday), and it does not affect my ability to log on to this, or other, forums. There were some settings involved with it, which I don't have in front of me, but look thru the Spybot menu and see if you can adjust it's level of killing things off.

Thanks all, I just was able to figure it out. My Explorer v 6 has a separate "privacy" tab, which allows me to pick and choose sites to accept cookies from. Battlefront.com was listed as a site to never accept a cookie from. I just changed that setting and viola!!! I'm back in business.

[ August 19, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]