Editor question: removing a country

I'm converting a PDE scenario to Global. After importing all the countries were mixed up, e.g. France was China, I changed the ownership of all tiles to France, but now I cannot save because China has no capital. How do I remove it completely? I do not think I miss any China tiles, is there a way to search per ownership somehow?

When you import a scenario, you should also copy and update the localization.txt file for the scenario. Global has more country slots than PDE, but you can still update the country list to what was used in the imported scenario. This is way easier than trying to reset tile ownerships...

When you import a scenario, you should also copy and update the localization.txt file for the scenario. Global has more country slots than PDE, but you can still update the country list to what was used in the imported scenario. This is way easier than trying to reset tile ownerships...

I used that file but it does not change a bit... so I'm back to changing tile ownership, I'll try to do it once more, maybe I missed some tile after all

Hi Borsook

Have you gone into the campaign.ini file for the campaign you're making, and made #CUSTOM_LOCALIZATION= 1?

If not, this would explain why Pzgndr's suggestion hasn't worked for you. I'd suggest giving it a try if you haven't already done so because it will be a lot quicker than changing tile ownerships.

I used that file but it does not change a bit... so I'm back to changing tile ownership, I'll try to do it once more, maybe I missed some tile after all

Ok, I forgot about that, so I guess now I can do e.g. :

#CHINA = France

and it will look like France in-game, while still being China in the editor? I think I will try to sort out tile ownership nevertheless, as I will use this map for several over scenarios, it should be done properly. :) So I guess there's no to find a tile owned by a given country? e.g. highlighting it somehow? It may be a silly question but these are my first steps with this editor.

I'm afraid that there isn't a way to highlight all the tiles belonging to a certain country, though if they are a major then their colour will show up more when looking at the mini-map.

Changing the localization text is actually a fully proper way of changing the countries to be those in the Storm of Steel scenario. Much quicker too!

Borsook,

To clarify, in PDE if you look at the order of countries they differ a bit from the order in Global, and Global has new country slots as well.

As Bill and pzgndr have mentioned the easiest thing to do is to make a copy of the original Global localization.txt file and placing it in your new Global custom campaign subdirectory. Then if you cutout all the parts you don't need to edit and just keep let's say the portion that has the country names the game will just load that section as 'customized'.

By editing the custom country list to follow the same order you see in the PDE campaign you can achieve country renaming without having to make any changes to the campaign data. As a result, China can become France not only in game but in the Editor as well. Then if you don't like the tile colours, you can also put a custom Bitmap of the 'national_tile' sprites file in your campaign subdirectory as well and rearrange the tile colours here also without having to make any changes in the Editor.

I would suggest taking a look at Cantona's custom campaign for some ideas as I believe he imported and modified an older campaign from WaW/PDE as well.

Hope this helps,

Hubert